Hi Everyone! Kathi here, from over at Deliciously Yum, checking in with my monthly treat to share with all of you.
Oh, fall baking. Nothing feels as good to me as getting back into the kitchen after a long, hot summer and cooking and baking to my heart’s content once again. Fall has most definitely arrived here in Minnesota, which means comfort food and some of our favorite desserts are making their appearance. We simply can’t get enough.
Over the weekend, I whipped up this phenomenal cake. I have been thinking about turning one of my favorite recipes for Donut Muffins, which can be found on my site, into a cake for quite some time now. To be honest, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Can you blame me? An entire cake that tastes like a scrumptious donut?! All I can say is that as a donut lover, I fell head over heels for this cake.
And just like a “regular” donut, this cake is not complete until you drizzle the glaze over top and finish it off with a handful of sprinkles.
You’ll be able to taste the melt-in-your-mouth goodness of a perfectly baked donut. As the title indicates, you’ll be able to find chunks of apples, which also melt into the cake itself and cause it to stay so moist. The addition of classic apple pie spices bring out fall flavors that we can’t get enough of. Cinnamon, ginger, and a couple of other spices will make your entire house smell wonderful.
- For the Cake:
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 apples, diced
- cinnamon-sugar (mix together 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons milk
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8-x-8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream together butter, oil, and sugars until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, beating until smooth. Add baking powder and soda and mix until just incorporated. Next, measure cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and salt and add to the mixture. Stir in vanilla and sift in the all-purpose flour. Mix until completely incorporated. Pour buttermilk into the batter and give it a good stir. Fold in diced apples. Pour batter into prepared baking pan in an even layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before drizzling the glaze over the top.
- Prepare the glaze by whisking together all of the ingredients. Drizzle over the top and add sprinkles, if desired.
Cake can be stored up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Hope you enjoy!
This recipe was created by contributor, Kathi, from Deliciously Yum
You can find Deliciously Yum at: