With the 4th of July this week, I thought I would share with you a recipe that is popular with my inlaws. Not only does it look festive for the holiday, but it is SO EASY to make. I have seen the recipe here and there all over the blogging world, but I first tasted it when I married into my husband’s family.
I added a little almond extract to the whipped topping, but you could easily leave that out. I just think almond extract adds a little something special :) Lets also talk about whipped topping for a minute. As I have posted recipes, I have come to find that both sides of the fence are very opinionated… those sides being real whipped cream and cool whip. I am here to tell you that if you prefer one or the other, the two are actually completely interchangeable with one another. If you see a recipe that calls for whipped topping, you can choose whichever you want based on personal preference. My family tends to lean the cool whip route purely because it just saves an extra step, but there are times that I will take the extra time to whip up my own batch. So feel free to choose whichever you want when you see that called for in one of my recipes :)
This cake is simple, fast and super yummy! It also looks beautiful when you cut into it. If you are in need of a festive, quick and tasty treat this holiday (or any time really) give this recipe a try!
- 1 box white cake mix, and ingredients it calls for
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (3 oz) packet Strawberry Jello
- 1 cup cold water
- 8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed (or whipped topping)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced Strawberries
- Bake cake according to box directions in a 9x13 pan.
- When cake is done, let cool for about 15 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, boil water in a medium sauce pan over medium heat on stove top.
- Add jello packet to boiling water and stir until jello is completely dissolved then stir in cold water.
- Using a fork, poke holes into cake. Pour jello evenly over the top of cake.
- Cover cake and place in fridge for 3 hours.
- Combine Cool Whip, powdered sugar and almond extract in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Spread evenly over the top of cake. Arrange sliced strawberries over the whipped topping as desired.
- Store covered in fridge for at least on hour and until ready to serve.
(recipe adapted from Kraft)