This recipe was originally published on January 11, 2012. It was updated on January 19, 2023.
This Cinnamon Roll Cake has the ooey gooey-ness of cinnamon rolls with a fraction of the work. With a cinnamon filling swirled into every bite and a delicious vanilla glaze on top, this recipe is sure to be a show stopper wherever it goes!
Sometimes a good recipe just needs a facelift. I have been blogging for almost 13 years. That is a long time. Some of the recipes on here could definitely use some updating. This one is an oldie but a goody!
Cinnamon Rolls are one of my all time favorite treats. But they are a process. Not to say that process isn’t worth it, but sometimes you just don’t have the time in a day to babysit the dough.
This recipe is a cross between a cinnamon roll and coffee cake. What makes this recipe more like a cinnamon roll is the gooey cinnamon filling. It stays gooey. I notice a lot of comments regarding the gooeyness of the layer and how it kind of falls towards the bottom, and that is exactly what it is supposed to do. That is what provides it with the gooey-gooey texture of a cinnamon center. AKA…The best part of the cinnamon roll in my opinion.
The filling is thick and paste-like in consistency. It then swirled in the cake batter to create a beautiful presentation as well as a delicious cinnamon sugar bite every single time. The key is to swirl it more than you think you need to. Otherwise you will have bigger pockets of dense cinnamon filling and pockets of just cake.
This cake has a baking range. Mine cooks in about 40 minutes exactly. Depending on the heat of your oven, it may take a little shorter or a little longer. I’ve seen some comments saying it took them about 50 minutes. Keep an eye on it starting at 35 and watch. You know it is done with a knife of toothpick come out clean.
It is then drizzled with a vanilla glaze to complete the entire feel of a cinnamon roll.
Trust me when I say, if you are an ooey gooey cinnamon roll lover, this is the recipe for you! Each bite just melts in your mouth. It is a heavenly dessert that is sure to be asked for again and again.
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar Add more as needed for desired consistency.
- 3 Tablespoons milk can use heavy cream as well. Add more as needed for desired consistency.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 glass baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In an electric or stand mixer add the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Once combined, slowly stir in the melted butter. Pour into the prepared 9×13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together until well combined and creamy.
- Drop evenly over the batter by the tablespoonfuls and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.
- Bake at 350 for 35-50 minutes or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out nearly clean. Mine is usually cooked perfectly at 40 minutes, but start watching at 35 minutes. Every oven varies.
- In a medium bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together with a whisk.
- Drizzle evenly over the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
recipe from: Grin and Bake It