This Ding Dong Bundt Cake is unbelievably amazing! The chocolate cake is extremely moist and the cream filling is completely made from scratch and tastes incredible. It is topped with a rich chocolate ganache. This cake will become a new staple.
Bundt Cakes are my favorite kind of cakes. Especially my recipe for them. It takes a boxed cake mix and completely jazzes it up. It also enhances the moist texture and keeps you coming back for more.
Growing up, My mom ALWAYS had Hostess ding dongs and Hostess cupcakes on hand. Whenever she needed a quick chocolate fix, that was her go too. As she and I were brainstorming a dessert for a huge family gathering we had recently, we decided to make a bundt cake version of one of our favorite Hostess treats. Let me tell you, It turned out FANTASTIC!
The cream filling is a star component to this dessert. It starts out with a roux made on the stovetop and then later added to the remaining ingredients. It is fluffy and very delicious. It goes perfectly with the chocolate fudge bundt cake.
The ganache poured over top is the perfect addition to balance out the sweetness. I like to use a blend of milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe.
I promise I am not exaggerating when I say that this Ding Dong Bundt Cake was served to about 8 people and was gone in under 10 minutes. People went CRAZY over this Ding Dong Bundt Cake and I know they will for yours, too!
- 1 fudge chocolate cake mix
- 1 small box (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix, dry
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips, I like to use half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and mix for three minutes.
- Grease a 12-cup bundt pan with butter and flour or something like Baking Joy cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean
- Invert cake on a wire rack. Cool completely
- Pour milk and flour into a medium sauce pan and whisk together very well to make sure there are no lumps.
- Place pan on stove and turn the heat to medium and stir constantly to make a roux.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Allow to cool.
- While the mixture is cooling, cream butter and sugar together in a medium bowl for about 9 minutes.
- Add the cooled roux to the butter mixture and beat again until it is well blended and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Carefully cut the cake in half and remove the top half and set aside.
- Spoon filling over the bottom of the cake and then spread evenly.
- Replace the top of the cake.
- In a microwave safe dish heat cream and butter until it just begins to boil. (About 2 minutes)
- Pour in chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth.
- Carefully place cake back on the wire rack with paper towels under it.
- Drizzle Ganache Frosting over cake.
- After the frosting is set carefully move cake to cake stand or serving plate.
- Refrigerate cake for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
For more yummy bundt cake recipes, check out these: