It is so crazy to me that Thanksgiving is just a couple short weeks away. I feel like this year has been in overdrive lately. Seriously, where did it go?! If you are anything like my family, you are already getting the Thanksgiving menu finalized and recipe assignments out to the masses. Wherever my family attends, whether it be with mine or my husband’s family, I am usually in charge of the dessert. Can’t complain though, I love dessert! Pie tends to be a very traditional Thanksgiving dessert and I thought I better share with you my recipe for one of my personal favorites.
Apple Pie is probably one of my favorite pies. I am really particular when it comes to pie. Chocolate-anything is usually what is calling for me at the dessert table, but a really good apple pie- I just can’t resist. Place a scoop of ice cream over the warm slice of apple pie, and that my friends is perfection.
If you are looking for a good apple pie to serve your guests, then look no further! This recipe is the perfect hint of tart and sweet and is bursting with flavor in each and every bite!
- 1 package Pillsbury Pie Curst (2 pie crusts, feel free to use your own homemade recipe or try mine)
- 6-7 cups thinly sliced apples (I used part Granny Smith and part Gala)
- 4 Tablespoons orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, place thinly sliced apples. Add orange juice and lemon juice over apples and toss to evenly coat over all the apples.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, flour and salt and stir to combine. Add to apples and stir until all are well coated and well combined. Stir in butter cubes.
- Place one of the pie crusts in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Pour apple mixture in pie.
- Place crust over top. You can do a lattice top if you prefer, or place the entire pie crust over the top and seal the sides, making sure to cut slits in the top for breathing.
- Beat egg in a small bowl and brush the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F 35-40 minutes until golden brown.