People love pie. It is just a fact of life.
Coconut Cream Pie is a total classic! With it being pie season and all, I figure it was high time I share the recipe that my family goes crazy over!
This pie is a hit with the crowd and would make a great choice for the Thanksgiving dessert table ;)
- 1 prepared and baked pie crust, cooled to room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1¼ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- toasted coconut
- In medium sauce pan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add half and half and egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute and remove from heat. Stir in butter, coconut and vanilla.
- Pour into medium bowl, cover with saran wrap directly on the filling itself to avoiding a sticky film on top. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Spoon coconut mixture into pie crust and careful speed to evenly distribute. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat whipping cream at high speed. Gradually add sugar, vanilla and coconut extract. Beat until stiff peaks form. You don't want them to be soft but you don't want them to become butter either :)
- Spread evenly over pie and sprinkle the top with toasted coconut.