Brown Sugar Butternut Squash
When I was in school studying to be a Dietitian, my favorite class was a Culinary Basics class I took. We learned everything about pairing ingredients, clarifying butter, what the best parts of meats were for certain cooking methods and so much more. The class had a 3 hour lab that accompanied it where we learned to cook like a chef. It was spectacular and I don’t think I have ever had a more fun final exam in my life :)
One of the recipes we were taught in the class was this one for Brown Sugar Butternut Squash! It is delicious and a sweet vegetable side dish to accompany a meal. We all love it my house and I hope you will too!
- 12 oz. medium diced butternut squash, I buy the pre packaged bag
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter on to the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
- Place and evenly distribute squash in pan.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, cinnamon, ground cardamom and brown sugar and stir to evenly combine ingredients. Evenly distribute and season butternut squash.
- Drizzle the lemon juice and remaining melted butter over the top of butternut squash.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F oven until tender. Approximately 40 minutes.
Averie @ Averie Cooks
This is my HEAVEN! This isn't a side, it's the whole meal, and dessert :) Seriously I eat so much squash and I love it with brown sugar/cinn/butter. It's like...squash as a cinnamon roll. Ok kidding but I love love love it this way! And I never knew you were a dietician! Wow, learn something new every day! pinned
Chef in Training
Thanks, Averie! Yeah I only studied to be one, I had three semesters left before I had my little girl and had to take a break from school :) It was a pretty demanding program and there was no way I could do both. The major itself is all the science behind the digestion of food and food science itself- which is something you blow my mind with on your blog! And I totally agree- most definitely like a squash cinnamon roll ;)
stephanie @ plain chicken
WOW! This looks like candy. YUM!
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
YUM. Ridiculously good flavours! Love this!
Sweet veggie side dishes are the best! I love baking sweet potato rounds with brown sugar, spices, and then a splash of maple syrup and honey. Can't wait to try it with the squash!
Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
What year did you take Culinary Basics?! I think I had that one in 2004. I loved all of my culinary classes, but of course I was a culinary student :)
Leave a Comment