When I was in school studying to be a Dietitian, my favorite class was a Culinary Basics class I took. We learned everything about pairing ingredients, clarifying butter, what the best parts of meats were for certain cooking methods and so much more. The class had a 3 hour lab that accompanied it where we learned to cook like a chef. It was spectacular and I don’t think I have ever had a more fun final exam in my life :)
One of the recipes we were taught in the class was this one for Brown Sugar Butternut Squash! It is delicious and a sweet vegetable side dish to accompany a meal. We all love it my house and I hope you will too!
- 12 oz. medium diced butternut squash, I buy the pre packaged bag
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter on to the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
- Place and evenly distribute squash in pan.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, cinnamon, ground cardamom and brown sugar and stir to evenly combine ingredients. Evenly distribute and season butternut squash.
- Drizzle the lemon juice and remaining melted butter over the top of butternut squash.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F oven until tender. Approximately 40 minutes.