French Bread

Sometimes, it is always good to visit the classic recipes.  French bread is one of my favorites. Plus this recipe is low in fat! :)  This is a family recipe that comes from my grandma’s cookbook and is one my whole family enjoys! It makes a great side dish all toasted up or, my personal favorite, a dip bread for a balsamic vinegar/olive oil/Parmesan cheese mixture.  Really you can’t go wrong with a classic recipe!  I hope you enjoy my family’s recipe as much as we do!

This French Bread is SUPER easy and delicious! AND its low-fat! My family loves this recipe!

French Bread

By Chef in Training May 21, 2012

• Yield: 2 Loaves

1. Mix 3 and 1/2 cups flour with all ingredients. Let sit one hour.
  2. Add remaining 3 and 1/2 cups flour (one at a time) and knead till dough forms a ball (dough sticky).
  3. Cover with a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
  4. Divide and shape into 2-3 oblong loaves (long and narrow). Place on greased cookie sheet. Slit top with scissors 1/2 down diagonally.
  5. Paint top with slightly beaten egg whites. Let sit for 8-10 minutes.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

Comments

Leigh Ann says:

I’m not seeing the recipe…

Hey Nikki– I feel like I’m missing something. This is the second recipe you’ve posted that I can’t find the actual recipe for– which tells me it’s ME and not you. Where’s the recipe? I’m not seeing it…

No, its me. It was supposed to post but the wordpress recipe plugin has been giving me issues. Sorry about that. It should be up now :)

French Bread loks wonderful. Will you be posting a recipe for it?

yes sorry. It was supposed to post but the wordpress recipe plugin has been giving me issues. Sorry about that. It should be up now :)

I love French bread. And fresh, home made…it’s simply yummy. It’s perfect to eat, warm, right away from the oven with the butter melting on it. OMG!!!

Crystal says:

This looks wonderful! I am making this today!

I have a batch in the mixer right now. Looks yummy!

I just made this bread with your recipe.. This is the best recipe I’ve made so far! It tastes SO AMAZING! Thank you for sharing!!!

These are beautiful loafs!

you make it sound so easy!

I just started making my own bread (albeit the lazy kneedless version), but this looks like its worth the effort of kneeding.

-h

Made this today. Super easy! Smelled amazing baking! Tasted even more amazing!! Really could divide into more than two loaves. Thanks for sharing, Nikki!!

Brooke Brown says:

Thank you so much! Been looking for an easy-peasy recipe for French Bread!

Hi Nikki
    Thanks for posting this. Are you using all purpose flour or bread flour and what kind of yeast – quick or regular thanks so much

I use all purpose flour and dry active yeast. Let me know if you have any more questions. I’m happy to help in any way I can :)

french bread is so good! i am not great at making breads, especially like my mom was. she always had fresh bread coming out of the oven. we would slather it with butter and have at it! thanks for the recipe. i would love to try my hand at making it again. pray for me! :)

I love easy to make bread recipes! This looks so wonderful :)

I have to tell you..I’ve tried lots of bread recipes and this is by FAR the best one I’ve ever tried. The recipe is simple and quick to make..yet came out so airy, fluffy and soft. I will always make this whenever I can, my family gobbled it up! What a great family recipe..thanks for sharing!

can i bake these beaties on a pizza stone?

nikki, oh my this bread was just amazing! so easy as well. ill def be making this all the time! thanks:)

Nikki, I love your blog (my mum sent me to it, since I’m a fairly new stay at home mum too). :)
    Just wondering – when you say a “package of yeast” how much are you referring to? I buy my yeast in a jar. Can’t wait to try this recipe!
    Thanks!

Heather R. says:

I made this today and it was delicious!! So easy to make, too. The only issue I had is I’d like the loaf to be narrower and a little taller. Mine ended up about 2″ tall and 8″ wide and 14″ or so long. Maybe I’m wishing for something that this dough can’t do, but I’d welcome any suggestions.

Heather, are you proofing your yeast beforehand? Proofing makes a big difference…when I make this recipe, I let the warm water sit with the sugar/yeast/salt mixture for around 15 minutes, until it gets really foamy and high in the bowl.

Another thing I might suggest is using a bit more yeast and extending your rising time. Although if you roll it out really long, it won’t be as high. I did the braid the picture and it came out around 12″ long, 4 or 5″ high and around 6″ high. Let it rise a good hour and half, in a slightly warm oven. All my best of luck!

ok i’m trying it now… i’m on step one. :)