Sometimes, it is always good to visit the classic recipes. French bread is one of my favorites. Plus this recipe is low in fat! :) This is a family recipe that comes from my grandma’s cookbook and is one my whole family enjoys! It makes a great side dish all toasted up or, my personal favorite, a dip bread for a balsamic vinegar/olive oil/Parmesan cheese mixture. Really you can’t go wrong with a classic recipe! I hope you enjoy my family’s recipe as much as we do!
By May 21, 2012Published:
- Yield: 2 Loaves
Sometimes, it is always good to visit the classic recipes. French bread is one of my favorites. Plus this recipe is low in fat! :) …
- Mix 3 and 1/2 cups flour with all ingredients. Let sit one hour.
- Add remaining 3 and 1/2 cups flour (one at a time) and knead till dough forms a ball (dough sticky).
- Cover with a damp cloth for 30 minutes.
- Divide and shape into 2-3 oblong loaves (long and narrow). Place on greased cookie sheet. Slit top with scissors 1/2 down diagonally.
- Paint top with slightly beaten egg whites. Let sit for 8-10 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.