I have been eyeing this breakfast cake from Alexandra’s Kitchen for a while now and finally cracked down and had to make it! It is absolutely WONDERFUL! I love breakfast cakes and the blueberries and buttermilk in this cake make it extra special :)
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
recipe slightly adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen