I know I say this a lot, but this recipe is a new favorite. Everyone who tried this Overnight Coconut French Toast Casserole declared the same thing… its just plain and simple the best!
Lets just talk about this Coconut Buttermilk Syrup… It is adapted from the Amazing Buttermilk Syrup recipe on my blog- and it. is. the. BEST. It’s one of those things you just have to try for yourself and see. You will want to have it on everything.
This is the perfect recipe for wowing company with very little effort on your part. Work is done the night before and all you need to worry about the morning of, is to preheat your oven and pop it in. Thats it. Oh. and make the syrup too. But that comes together in like a matter of minutes.
Try out this recipe. You will not be disappointed.
- 1 loaf french bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) can coco lopez
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup coconut
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons coconut extract
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes inside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, coco lopez and milk together until well mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes and press bread cubes down with hand to coat all of them.
- Cover with baking dish with saran wrap and place in fridge over night.
- In the morning when ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle coconut over the top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes until done.
- Serve with Coconut Buttermilk Syrup.
- Combine butter, sugar and buttermilk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar completely dissolves. Then remove from heat and add baking soda and coconut extract. Stir to combine. Syrup will foam up, but that is part of what makes it SO incredible. Don't be alarmed by that.
- Drizzle (or if you are like my family then saturate) your french toast with syrup and enjoy!