I recently shared my Rice Krispy Treat Frosting recipe inspired by one of the two new OREO flavors that came out… then it got me thinking… well, why not recreate the Cookie Dough Oreos with my own spin?!
My family could not stop raving about these cookies! The cookie dough frosting is the frosting I created a few months back. I then smashed it between two chocolate chewy cake mix cookies… and lets just say the end result is AH-MAZING! The mini chocolate chips in the frosting add a nice little crunch and texture to each bite and the cookie dough frosting is honestly what makes these cookies.
If you need a new, quick and delicious treat- then I strongly encourage you to give these bad boys a try!
*Disclaimer Side note: This frosting is eggless, but I have had some readers tell me that there can be a small risk with consuming raw flour, so eat at your own risk :)
- 1 box devil's food cake mix, dry not prepared
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- 10 Tbsp. butter softened
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 envelope dream whip
- 2-4 Tbsp. milk
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup mini chocolate chips
- TO MAKE COOKIES: Mix and roll into small balls. Gently flatten. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. BUT DO NOT OVER BAKE! Its better to be a little undercooked but not over cooked. The softer the better. Let cool completely.
- FOR THE FROSTING: Cream butter in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, vanilla and Dream Whip and evenly beat together. Add milk, flour and powdered sugar and beat to evenly incorporate until smooth. (If you need to add a little milk to thin it, feel free to do so. I prefer my frosting thick so I never needed to). Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- I like to cover my plastic frosting bowl with saran wrap and stick it in the fridge for about 15 minutes. It thickens up pretty nicely :) You don't have to do that step though.
- Frost bottom half of one cookie then top it with another cookie. Repeat until all homemade oreo cookies are made.