I am going to be honest. Vegetables are sometimes still hard for me to enjoy. Specifically peas. Don’t know why but I struggle to enjoy them.
That is, unless they are made like this.
But what is not to love about creamy flavorful peas- peas accompanied by mushrooms, onions and of course bacon. Bacon. What ingredient isn’t jazzed up by using bacon?! ;)
This recipe is from my grandma’s cookbook she gave me 10 years ago and let me tell you, there is a reason this recipe has stuck around.
It is a side dish to wow and PERFECT for special occasions! Trust me on this, even if you don’t enjoy peas like me, make these Fancy Peas. You will not regret it! :)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons chicken granules
- 1 cup cooked and chopped bacon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ pints sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter and saute onion and mushrooms. Add chicken granules. Add peas, bacon, salt, pepper and sour cream; cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour into casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes until heated through.