This Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Basil Pasta is a quick, easy and tasty meal that the whole family will love! With creamy alfredo sauce, sun dried tomatoes loaded with flavor and accented by sweet basil, this will become a new dinner regular at your house.
So, first things first! I have some EXCITING news!
I have officially passed the 20 week mark a little bit ago and we found out what we are having!!!
My whole family is ECSTATIC! This officially evens out the numbers for us. Most importantly though, baby girl looked and measured perfectly which is so calming to hear. I can hardly contain my excitement to be back in the little pink aisle again and to also be shopping for bows :) Just thought I would share the fun news before kicking into today’s recipe.
This pregnancy I have been craving all things sweet. But in reality, it has been a super weird pregnancy as far as food goes. All of my other pregnancies I haven’t been able to get enough food, but with this pregnancy, its as if I almost have an aversion to food. Not that food makes me sick, I’m just never hungry. My husband has to remind me to eat most of the time because I have a constant feeling of full.
Sweets are the foods that speak to me the most, but I have to force myself to enjoy meals like dinner and lunch. My go-to lunch of choice is a margharita pizza consisting of pizza dough, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, sun dried tomatoes and basil. That is it. Simple but perfect in flavor without feeling too heavy.
I decided to take the things I love about my favorite lunch and transform it into a pasta dinner. I did go with a creamy alfredo sauce though in place of a simple olive oil because I knew it would appeal to my kids more this way. I also added some chicken to give my family some added protein.
This dinner was a winner! It got compliments from every single member of my family. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, easy and flavorful meal.
- 1 pound campanelle pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cooked and chopped chicken breasts, preferably grilled
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 (3 ounce) bags sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1½ cups grated Parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Place cooked pasta in a baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large pan, add olive oil and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add sundried tomatoes.
- Add butter and melt, then add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cream and cook until heated.
- Add Parmesan, salt and basil. Reserve about a Tablespoon of basil for garnish.
- Pour sauce over pasta and stir until all the pasta is well coated.
- Cut chicken in strips and place over pasta.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh Parmesan and remaining basil.