It’s no secret that I enjoy a good pound cake. Lemon Blueberry, Orange Dreamsicle, Cranberry Orange, Sparkling Cider… and a few more on the way to add to the collection, too :) Pound Cake is one of those desserts that I go weak in the knees for.
Moist cake that is packed with flavor- how can you go wrong?! Well, you can’t! And today’s recipe puts a fantastic spin on a classic.
This version involves coconut. As if this dessert couldn’t get any better, we added some coconut and made a coconut icing. Wow! My family loves coconut cake, so this pound cake version sent us all over the moon! I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 cup butter
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and coconut extract together for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat an addition minute per egg.
- In a separate large bowl, mix and combine dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients alternatively with the buttermilk to the butter/sugar/egg mixture.
- Fold in shredded coconut.
- Grease and flour either 2 large bread pans or 3 small bread pans.
- Pour batter and bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 min.
- Let loaves cool and pour glaze over them.
- Whisk glaze ingredients together until smooth.