The holidays are around the corner and this Chocolate Cream Roll would be an amazing addition to your dessert table. It is seriously PERFECT!
My mom is known for this Chocolate Cream Roll. She has pretty much been making this recipe since she was my age. It is another fabulous recipe stored in my grandma’s cookbook and is always a crowd pleaser. If you love chocolate, then this is the recipe for you!
What is not to love about moist chocolate cake, creamy filing and chocolate frosting?! It is perfection in each and every bite!
Don’t be afraid of making cake rolls. I know some people are terrified to even give it a try. This recipe is really quite easy and will be the talk of the party!
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease bottom only of 10" x15" jelly roll pan. Line with parchment paper and grease and flour the whole pan.
- In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In separate small bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add half of the sugar, beating continuously until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick. Add remaining sugar and vanilla; beat until very thick. Stir in water. Add flour mixture gradually, folding into egg yolk mixture after each addition. Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch.
- Loosen edges and immediately turn cake onto towel dusted with powdered sugar and remove parchment paper. Starting at the narrower end, roll up cake iin towel; cool completely.
- In medium bowl beat cream cheese, cool whip, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, cream butter. Add cocoa, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and milk and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Unroll cooled cake; remove towel.
- Spread cake with filling.
- Roll up again, rolling loosely to incorporate filling.
- Frost filled roll.
- Cover and refrigerate.