Biscuits and Gravy… It wasn’t until last year I really fell in love with this delicious concept. It is such an incredible and easy meal that puts a smile on every single persons face.
Then it hit me… why not turn this meal into a casserole. SO SIMPLE and absolutely delectable! I made my biscuits a bit different this time and jazzed them up with some cheese rolled up inside. They were a huge hit with everyone that tried them!
If you are looking for the perfect breakfast, brunch or even breakfast-for-dinner, then give this recipe a try! You will LOVE it!
- 2 pounds sausage
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ½ cup milk
- 3 chicken bullion cubes
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoon baking power
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook sausage until browned and done and set aside. In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat and then add the flour and cook for 1 minute. You could simply use the grease from the sausage in place of the butter but I prefer to use butter.
- Add the milk, and crumble the bullion cubes between you finger and put into the sauce. Stir until thickened.
- Add sausage back into the gravy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour gravy into a 9 x 13 baking dish that is sprayed with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter with a fork, until mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and mix until it forms a ball. Do not over mix. Add more buttermilk if necessary.
- Divide the dough into two halves. Roll dough onto a floured surface and roll ¼ inch thick making a rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll into a pinwheel on lengthwise side and slice ½ inch thick.
- Place sliced biscuits over gravy and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 45 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.