It’s no secret by now that I have an obsession with almond. Almond flavored anything beacons me from a mile radius ;)
These Almond Crisp Cookies are so simple! They are made with Puff Pastry and are both soft and crispy and packed with that DELICIOUS almond flavor, using both almond extract and finely ground almonds themselves.
The Glaze. It is SO good! Almond flavoring just seems to add something magical and special to frosting if you ask me. The heavy cream makes it thicker and creamier, but you can easily sub that out for milk for a lower calorie count or if its simply what you have on hand.
These are a quick and easy treat to whip up when you need something to fix your sweet tooth!
- 1 package puff pastry (2 sheets)
- 8 ounces almond paste
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup finely ground almond
- ⅔ cup coarse sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- In medium bowl combine almond paste, sugar and egg. Beat for five minutes until smooth.
- Unfold one pastry sheet on a lightly floured workspace. Roll out to a 10 x 14 in rectangle. Spread half the filling evenly over rectangle. Sprinkle half of the almonds over the top. Roll up pastry evenly from both short ends until both ends meet in the middle.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour. Repeat this process with the other pastry sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place parchment sheet on cookie sheet a cut rolls crosswise into ¼ inch slices spacing them 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle cookies with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until cookies are firm and the bottom are lightly brown.
- Let cookies cool 5 minutes and transfer to a cooking rack.
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix until smooth. Use more powdered sugar or heavy cream as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies.