This Homemade Caramel Sauce is a great staple recipe. It is perfect for a variety of recipes; from topping, filling and everything in between this will serve as a regular in your home!
The holidays are fast approaching and I am so excited and ready! I love this time of year for SO many different reasons, one of them being the FOOD!
I can’t tell you how many times I need a good caramel sauce in my baking particularly my holiday baking. And NOTHING beats homemade. There is a serious taste difference between store bought and homemade caramel and once you try homemade, there is simply no going back. And the great thing about this recipe is that the leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of weeks!
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoons salt
- Place sugar in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Stir constantly with a wooden spoon or a whisk.
- Sugar will begin to form clumps. Keep stirring until it begins to melt into brown liquid.
- Once sugar is completely melted, add butter remove from heat and stir butter vigorously until well incorporated. BE CAREFUL to not spatter as the liquid is VERY hot.
- Return to the heat and add the cream. Once again the sauce is going to splatter, so be very, very, careful!
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.