HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mr. Chef in Training! Today is my husband’s official birthday…. The big 3-0! He has now officially said adios to his 20s! He is such an old fart now ;) just kidding.
Lets talk about my cute hubby for a minute and his birthday cake preference… Boxed rainbow chip cake. He requests it every year.
I don’t know WHY on earth he chooses THAT when his wife could (try her best) to bake him up whatever his little heart desired from scratch. I don’t know whether to be offended or thank him for making my day a little easier ;-)
This year I wanted to involve his favorite flavor cake in a more jazzed up style. This pull apart bread is simple and delicious. It would make a great birthday breakfast/treat or even a great recipe for Easter with all of the fun, bright and spring colors.
Cake Batter Pull Bread
By March 29, 2013
- Yield: 1 loaf
This recipe is so simple and rediculously delicious!
IngredientsPrint This Recipe
- 1 round, unsliced loaf of sour dough bread
- 1/2 cup butter melted (add more as needed)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup yellow cake mix dry
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup color sprinkles
- . . CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- Slice bread to make 1/2-1 inch sections slicing almost all the way to the bottom of the loaf. Be careful not to cut too far or to cut through. I used a serrated knife and cut on inch slices all the way down the width way of the loaf. Then I used my kitchen sheers to snip the 1/2-1 inch sections on each row, just to avoid any of them tearing off. Place loaf on cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, yellow cake mix and cinnamon. Stir to evenly mix together. Set aside.
- Evenly pour and distribute melted butter between each of the sections, making sure to get in-between each one. Trust me, you want the buttery goodness :) If you need more butter, simply melt as much more as needed.
- Evenly sprinkle/pour sugar/cake mix mixture between each of the sections. Rub in to cover them if necessary. Be care not to tear any of the sections.
- Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
- While Cake Batter Pull Bread is baking, make the glaze. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar/milk as needed to reach desired consistency. Drizzle as much as desired over warm bread. Sprinkle with some added sprinkles if desired. Serve warm.