Growing up, my mom made this dinner often after a good workout. The great thing about it is that it is packed with so much delicious flavors, you really wouldn’t mind eating healthy if this dish was placed in front of you. It was and still is one of my favorite easy dinners to whip up. It is so easy, fast and delicious.
It comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Cooking for Today Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook that my mom bought years back. Our family has given it 4 stars and 2 enthusiastic thumbs up :) If you are looking for a healthy, filling, easy and flavorful meal- then this is the recipe for you!
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes, undrained
- ⅛ tsp. ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Place olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until hot.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to pan and sauté until tender.
- Once tender, stir in black beans, tomatoes, red pepper, cumin and salt and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Serve over hot brown rice.
(recipe from Better Home and Gardens Cooking for Today Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook)