My mom makes THE BEST homemade refried beans!
I love Mexican food, so this would definitely be one of my favorite dinners! You can use these beans for anything! Burritos, chimichungas, bean dip or as a great side to your mexican meal! My mom has been making these beans since I was little. Ever since, I haven’t been able to eat canned refried beans, that’s how good they are!
**These proportions are assuming you have a large crock pot- 5 qt**
Homemade Refried Beans
- 3 cups dry pinto beans rinse to clean beans
- 5 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 Tablespoon garlic salt
- 1/2 medium sweet onion don't chop. Just peel off outside skin layer (discard that outer layer) and use the whole half as is
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk more if needed to reach desired flavor and consistency
- Put dry pinto beans into slow cooker.
- Fill crock-pot nearly to the top with water, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Crush chicken bouillon cubes over the top of water, sprinkling evenly. Next, sprinkle garlic salt evenly over top. Drop the half medium sweet onion into slow cooker.
- Cook on low until beans are soft, about 8-10 hours. (stir occasionally during cooking process. You may have to add more water as beans absorb water, so check on them periodically.)
- Strain beans or pour off juice, saving the juice in a separate bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of butter, milk, and a small amount of juice that beans cooked in.
- Use a hand blender to mash beans. Add milk or juice and blend to obtain desired consistency. Add more garlic salt as needed for added flavor. You want to leave beans a little runny as they will set up quite fast.