This week has been long… really long. I seriously salute all the single parents out there. It is tough stuff and I usually only have to do it for a couple weeks at a time at most. You are amazing and I have so much respect for you! My hubby has been gone nearly a week and I am more than ready for him to come home. Between chasing around the two kids, running errands, cooking, blogging, and cleaning up millions of messes… lets just say I have been counting down the minutes until his return ;-)
My hubby got back from Scout Camp last night. WOHOO! I am beyond thrilled! It is hard not to see your best friend for a week. Because I have missed him so much, I am going to take him on a surprise date tonight :) I honestly can’t remember the last time my husband and I went on a date JUST the two of us. There has always been at least one of the kiddos with us, which usually means the date is spent trying to get our 3 year old to sit still at the dinner table or our baby to stop fussing. By the end of dinner, we are both pooped and ready to go home. Because of that, we never get the chance to do some sort of fun activity along with it. HOWEVER, tonight, I am making it happen and I couldn’t be more excited.
I love spending time with Derek. He is seriously the funniest guy you will ever meet. I am so lucky that every day has at least one “grab-your-gut” laugh. He is amazing. I hope you have some fun plans this weekend, too!
Okay, change of subject…. I love Malt. Plain and simple. Remember these Malt Whopper Brownies I created?… Well, I decided to search some more recipes involving malted milk powder and I found these lovely creations by Karly over at Buns in My Oven. Let me just tell you know, they are delicious! Then again, to me, anything with a “malt” flavor is delicious.
Malt Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Beat butter, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup, and vanilla for 2 minutes. Beat in the egg until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Press the cookie dough into the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes. They will still seem gooey in the centers so let them cool completely before cutting into them.
recipe slightly adapted from Buns in My Oven