I Love having Ranch Dressing Mix on hand, but the homemade version is SO much better and is so much better for you as far as ingredients go. I LOVE knowing what is going into my foods.
Today, I am sharing 2 ways to make Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix. One recipe comes from my grandma’s recipe book she gave me (the one without powdered buttermilk) and the other one comes from Food.com.
Which recipe you decide to use depends on if you want to buy and use your buttermilk fresh at the time of making it, or if you’d rather simply add milk. My grandma’s can be made with just the seasonings and add fresh buttermilk to it later and the other you add milk to later on. The choice is yours :)
I prefer the recipe with powdered buttermilk because I usually always have milk on hand, but not necessarily buttermilk. Granted, you can always make your own by using milk and a little lemon juice.
This recipe couldn’t be any simpler, and trust me IT IS WAY BETTER than the store bought kind! Isn’t that always how it works when you make something homemade though? :)
You just blend down the spices to a fine consistency. I use a food processor to make this process a lot more simple. It seriously does it in seconds.
Add some mayo and milk to it as you want, and you have got yourself some DELICIOUS Homemade Ranch Dressing! You can also use it for recipes that call for Ranch Dressing Mix- using the one with powdered buttermilk of course. Use 1 Tablespoon for any recipe calling for an envelope of Ranch Dressing Mix.
- 6 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons dried parsley
- ½ cup dried Buttermilk Powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, mix dry minced onion, salt, garlic powder and parsley together.
- Directions for Ranch Dressing: Mix ⅛ cup of mix with 1 cup mayonnaise, and 1 cup buttermilk. Mix well and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Makes three dressing mixes.
- Combine all Buttermilk Powder Ranch Dressing Mix ingredients into food processor or blender. Pulse and blend until powder and fine.
- For salad dressing, combine 1 Tablespoon mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup milk.
- For any recipe calling for an envelope of ranch dressing mix, use 1 Tablespoon of mix.