German Chocolate is one of my personal favorites. Coconut, chocolate and pecans were just meant to be together. Wouldn’t you agree?!
This cookie recipe is adapted from my Coconut Macaroons and is such a great spin on the traditional recipe! The thickened sweetened condensed milk really takes these cookies over the top.
These cookies were raved about by all who ate them!
The German Chocolate Macaroons are unique, delicious and just amazing all around! You will not be disappointed!
- 5⅓ cups shredded sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- Melt 4 ounces sweet chocolate
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 6 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Place sweetened condensed milk in a double boiler until slightly thickened (About 45 minutes). Keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease and lightly flour the cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Toss and mix well. Add egg whites and nuts and mix well.
- Using a round tablespoon drop macaroons onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 23 minutes or until golden brown on top. Place on cooling rack.
- Melt chocolate with shortening in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment until chocolate is melted. Drizzle chocolate over macaroons.
- Then Drizzle thickened sweetened condensed milk over the chocolate.