Hello again! Kathi here, from over at Deliciously Yum, sharing a new recipe that’s perfect for summer today.
I don’t know about you, but summer is my favorite season. Not only am I a huge fan of the warm weather, but there’s nothing better than being able to spend as much time as possible outside and enjoying everything this wonderful time of year has to offer.
Getting together for cookouts or gathering around campfires with friends and family is probably my favorite activity in the warmer months. Can you blame me? It doesn’t get much better than eating good food with great company.
Most of the time I am expected to bring a dessert to get-togethers, which is more than fine with me. So I recently spend a couple of hours in my kitchen creating some fun and fruity desserts for the warmer months ahead. When I think of sweet treats perfect for summer, the first two things that come to mind are coconut and strawberries.
Both of these beautiful ingredients are the star of my dreamy bars. It all starts with a super easy and buttery crust that’s topped with strawberry jelly and finished with a coconut crumble.
The flavors of strawberry and toasted coconut work so well together. I could have easily devoured half a pan of these yummy treats in one sitting. Not only do they taste amazing, but your home will smell beyond incredible. They are light enough to prevent any feeling of heaviness, but extremely satisfying at the same time. I hope you will love them as much as we did!
- For the Crust:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup strawberry jelly or jam
- For the Coconut Crumble:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-x-8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Using a rubber spatula, add large egg and mix to combine. Add softened butter and mix until dough forms. Press into prepared pan and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Spread strawberry jelly over the warm crust.
- Next, combine brown sugar, coconut flakes, flour, and baking powder. Pour melted butter over the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Drop mixture evenly over the jelly layer and return to the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until top layer is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
If this isn’t summer in a bite, then I don’t know what is.
This recipe was created by contributor, Kathi, from Deliciously Yum
You can find Deliciously Yum at: