Today is my birthday so I thought why not celebrate with a delicious cake recipe to help celebrate :) My birthday often falls on Memorial Day which means my hubby, more often times than not, is off of work to celebrate with me, which I love!
Here is a little fact about me. I am not much of a cake person. Actually, for every birthday since I can remember I always request a pa’zookie (I’ll share a yummy recipe for that soon). Its basically an undercooked cookie in a skillet topped with ice cream and caramel and fudge sauce. Growing up, my mom always asked if “this” would be the year I wanted cake and every year I replied with, “nope”. Strange? Yes, maybe. Or maybe it was that I just hadn’t tasted a GOOD cake yet. Since then, I have grown to love cake because I have found that not all cakes are created equally. This is one of those fabulous cakes.
My mom made this cake a while back and it honestly is amazing. If you love coconut, nutella, fudge and cake you came to the right place today. The frosting is ridiculously delicious and the coconut flavor makes this cake sensational. Of course, it has Nutella, which made me all the more excited to gobble down a piece of it! Topped with a chocolate ganache, you really can’t go wrong with this cake. Try it and see for yourself! You will wow whoever you serve it to with its incredible flavor combo!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2¾ cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nutella
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 5 Tablespoons coconut milk
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 nine inch round pans. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and set aside. Beat butter and sugar together for 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat and additional minute per egg. Add coconut extract. Add four mixture and coconut milk alternatively until all the ingredients are incorporated. Pour into prepared pans and place dollops of nutella around the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Invert cakes and cool completely.
- Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add coconut extract and coconut milk. Add powder sugar and beat until spreadable consistency.
- Spread frosting over first layer and then stack the next one. Do the same for the top layer.
- Melt chocolate chips with heavy cream together in microwave for 45 seconds and stir. Repeat until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake.
Recipe adapted from: Flavor Mosaic