I LOVE soup, especially this time of year! There is nothing better than warming up to a delicious bowl of hot soup on a cold winter day, which we seem to be having a lot of where I live.
I wanted to try changing up our traditional soup menu. Okay, let me tell you. This Creamy Spinach Soup is BEYOND yummy! The flavor is perfection and a great way to eat some greens!
Even my pickiest eaters devoured this soup. Creamy soups are my absolute favorite and this one will become a new regular at our house!
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 5 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bullion base
- 10 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, saute onions in butter. Add spinach and water and cook spinach until spinach is wilted and soft. Add flour and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly add milk and stir until smooth. Add chicken base and continue stirring constantly until soup comes to a boil.
- With a immersion hand blender, puree soup until spinach is well blended.
- If you would like your soup a little thicker, in a separate small bowl mix together 3 Tablespoons of corn starch to 4 Tablespoons of cold water. Slowly add cornstarch mixture as needed to boiling soup stirring constantly until soup is thickened to desired consistency.
- I garnished with some Parmesan cheese.