We love alfredo in my house! The rich creamy sauce over pasta makes my mouth water. It has been POURING rain here this past week and I have been making nothing but comfort food. Fall is my absolute favorite time to be in the kitchen. Nothing better than warming up your house through cooking and filling the air with delicious aromas. Nothing screams welcome home to my family better than the smell of a warm cooked meal.
This pasta incorporates so many delicious flavors and ingredients that it is a definite winner when it comes to pleasing the family. It reminds me of my Chicken Broccoli Casserole, but instead of cream cheese it uses a delectable alfredo sauce. Let this dinner be the next meal your family gathers around the table for. There is sure to be smiles all around :)
- 12 oz. penne pasta
- 1½ cups cooked and chopped chicken
- 1½ cups cooked and lightly chopped broccoli, I steamed some frozen broccoli
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups fat-free half and half
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt, more if needed TT
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook Pasta according to package directions.
- Steam broccoli until fork tender. If you are using frozen broccoli, steam according to package's directions.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain water out.
- Add cooked and lightly chopped broccoli and cooked and chopped chicken to pasta. Gently toss to evenly distribute ingredients. Dump contents into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter completely over medium heat in large skillet or pan.
- Add flour and stir to form a roux. Allow roux to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add fat-free half and half and cook and stir continuously until sauce has thickened.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in garlic salt, onion powder, salt and Parmesan cheese until throughly incorporated.
- Evenly pour and distribute alfredo sauce over pasta/broccoli/chicken. Gently incorporate all over if needed.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.