Hi Everyone! It’s Kathi here from over at Deliciously Yum. I am so glad to finally be back for my first post of 2015. The timing couldn’t be any better though – Cherry Dream Bars would make a perfect treat to devour with those you love most on Valentine’s Day (or any other day, if you ask me).
While the dough is made completely from scratch, I can confidently tell you that you’ll be able to whip it up in no time. Not only does it require less than 10 minutes of active time to make these, but you’ll likely have everything you need already in your pantry. I like to work with simple ingredients to make some scrumptious recipes that are filled with flavor. Perfectly suitable to feed a crowd or just a couple of people – these bars are definitely no exception!
Every time Valentine’s Day rolls around, I just love seeing all the chocolate and red velvet recipes pop up all over the internet. But I like having options and switching things up here and there. These Cherry Dream Bars are just the ticket. They’re as satisfying as an indulgent chocolate treat, but with the addition of naturally sweet and wonderfully juicy cherries.
I won’t even tell you how fast they disappeared… and it’s just my husband, Adam, and I! There’s only so much we can do when the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bars fills our home. We may have enjoyed our pre-valentine’s treat a bit too much, but I can already guarantee what I’ll be making again for us in less than 2 weeks. We can’t get enough.
- For the Bars:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
- For the Glaze:
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-x-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, about 1-2 minutes. Add salt, eggs, and vanilla and continue stirring until fully incorporated. Add flour and baking powder and mix until just combined. Reserve ½ cup of dough. Press remaining dough into the prepared baking pan. Top with cherry pie filling. Drop remaining batter (1/2 cup) in small pieces over the cherry filling.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled prepare the glaze. Whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth and drizzle over the bars. Cut into 12 squares and serve.
Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
This recipe was created by contributor, Kathi, from Deliciously Yum
You can find Deliciously Yum at: