My grandma always has some of the easiest and yummy recipes stored away in our family cookbooks. I was browsing the cookbook last week reading through all the delicious ideas. This particular recipe for Cherry Chocolate Cake caught my eye. Combining pie filling and cake mix (amongst a few other ingredients) produces this yummy cake. Unique and completely delectable!
The frosting that decks the top of the cake is one of my favorite frosting recipes. We delivered this cake to a few of our friends and they all raved about how good this recipe was (particularly the frosting!). IF you are looking for a way to change up your typical dessert and kick it up a notch without all the hard work, then this is the recipe for you!
- 1 (18.75 oz) box chocolate cake mix, dry
- 1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- Mix chocolate cake mix, cherry pie filling, almond extract, vanilla, water and eggs together in a large bowl and stir until well-mixed.
- Pour evenly into greased 9x13 in pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until center springs back with lightly touch and toothpick test comes out clean. Let cake cool completely.
- To make frosting: Combine sugar, butter and milk together in a small-medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.