Sometimes I feel like I live in my minivan, taking my kids from one of their schools, activities, extra circulars to the next. Dinner needs to be quick and easy most days as I am not home for most of it to put it together. Thats one of the huge reasons why I LOVE this dinner recipe!
Cheese is one of those foods I just can’t get enough of. The cheesier something is, the better in my opinion. Are we on the same page with that statement? ;) My kids and hubby feel the same way as I do which is why I knew they would go crazy for this meal.
This Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Braid is one of my go to recipes when I am in a crunch for time. It comes together quickly, the flavor is wonderful and each member of my family loves it! It is a win for all!
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves thawed Rhodes bread dough (you can also use your favorite bread dough recipe)
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken, salted to taste
- 1⅓ cups cooked and chopped broccoli, salted to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir for 1 min. to make a roux. Add milk and salt. Stir until thickened. Take off the stove and then stir in the cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough one loaf at a time into a 14" by 12" rectangle.
- In the center of the rectangle going lengthwise place 1 cup of chicken, ⅔ cup broccoli, half of the cheese sauce and spinkle an additional ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese over the top. Fold over the top and bottom of the rectangle and with a pizza cutter make 10 slits on both sides of the dough rectangle. Alternate folding the strips over each other to create a braid effect.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes.