I am always on the hunt for yummy vegetable side dishes to change up our routine norm.
This side dish is INCREDIBLE! It is cheesy and flavorful and is a tasty way to get even the picky eaters to eat their vegetables! Then again, whats not to love about vegetables buried in a sea of creamy, cheesy goodness?!
I stumbled across this recipe from the talented Audra at The Baker Chick. My mouth has been watering and my hands itching to try it out. I adapted a few of the ingredients and measurements to my personal preferences.
The end result was fabulous! Everyone had eaten their share of vegetables by the time dinner was over. This will definitely be a recipe we make over and over again!
- 1 cup cooked bacon, chopped
- 8 to 10 cups cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 6 Tablespoon butter
- 4 cups milk
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅛ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook cauliflower in salted pot of boiling water for about 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not cook all the way.) Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pan melt butter and add flour. Add milk and stir until thickened. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese and stir until creamy. Add cauliflower to the cheese and stir.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan.
- Combine Panko and Italian breadcrumbs and evenly sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.