Boston Cream Pie Cake is amazing. I mean, whats not to love about yellow cake, creamy filling and chocolate? It actually happens to be my mom’s favorite kind of cake.
My mom and I were brainstorming what to make for a get together we were having, and thats when we got the brilliant idea to create a trifle version of this ever so popular cake. Everyone loves a good trifle and they are super popular in the summer for BBQs and pot lucks. This trifle was absolutely amazing and a hit with all those who tried it. If you are a Boston Cream Pie Fan, then you absolutely have to give this trifle a try!
- 1 box yellow cake mix and ingredients it calls for
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 9 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup prepared whipped heavy cream
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Mix as the package directs. Pour batter into a spayed cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 16 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch. Set aside and cool. While cake is cooling make cream filling.
- While cream filling is cooling and after cake has completely cooled, cut cake into bite size cubes, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Separate egg yolks in small bowl. In a large saucepan over medium heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk. Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken, it usually takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Temper eggs with ½ cup of milk mixture. Slowly add egg mixture back into the saucepan, stirring rapidly as you do. Cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer to a medium size bowl and cool completely in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours. Once cooled, gently fold in the whipped cream and return to the refrigerator while you complete the other steps.
- In Microwave safe bowl melt chocolate chips and cream. Stir and set aside
- Place ⅓ of the cake cubes in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
- Spoon ⅓ of the pastry cream over the cake cubes.
- Carefully drizzle ⅓ of the Ganache over the pastry cream.
- Repeat until you have completed all three layers.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.