This pie recipe is melt-in-your-mouth delicious! The juices and flavors of the blackberries and blueberries fuse together amazingly. The pie crust is perfection. I am normally not a pie person, but I am if this crust is involved! It is the perfect texture and flakiness.
The filling is the perfect blend of tartness and sweetness. If you haven’t made a pie yet this summer, let this one be it!
- 1 recipe for perfect pie crust, or you can use a box of Pillsbury Pie crust if you want to save some time
- 4 cups blackberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 4 Tablespoons instant tapioca
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Divide the pie dough in half. Roll out the bottom crust leaving about 2 inches hanging over the edge of dish.
- In a large mixing bowl combine blackberries, blueberries, tapioca, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Mix and pour into pie dish.
- Roll out the top crust. You can either make a lattice top for your pie or simply put the rolled out crust over the pie filling. If you cover the pie with the full crust remember to make small cuts on the top for the pie to breath while cooking.
- With a pastry brush top brush the beaten egg over the crust and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F and then turn the oven down to 375 and bake another 25 to 30 minutes until filling is hot and bubbling and crust is golden brown.
Recipe adapted from The Baker Chick