I have been on the search for easy dinners to throw together. At 31 weeks pregnant- being in the kitchen all day is the last thing I want to do. I tell you, swollen legs/feet and standing in the kitchen all day are two things that don’t mesh well together. Plus it seems like everything I eat or every ingredient I use ends up smearing its beautiful face on my belly one way or another haha! I should just take pictures of my belly and let you guess what ingredients made their way into each recipe?! I’m kidding… Please tell me I am not the only one who gets food on their prego belly?!
Back to my search for easy recipes. This dinner is super easy to make and right up my ally and time frame for kitchen time. Bonus- It is made using skim milk for the cream- making it much lighter- “Skinnier” if you will- than a lot of my other pasta dishes that use heavy cream. Of course bacon isn’t fat free, but a little here and there for flavor isn’t too bad :)
This was one dish I could get all my family to eat and an easy way to sneak in some veggies for my pickier eaters. This dish is so simple to make up and requires very little effort on your part. If you are looking for a way to change up your current dinner rotation, definitely give this a try! You won’t regret it!
- 1 lb cooked rigatoni
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 (14 oz) packet Knors vegetable mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked and chopped bacon
- 1½ cups grated swiss cheese, separated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 diced tomato
- Dump cooked rigatoni and shredded rotisserie into a 9x13 baking dish. Toss around to evenly distribute ingredients through pan.
- To make sauce: Melt butter in a large sauce pan. Add flour and stir to form roux. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add skim milk and stir until sauce thickens. After sauce has thickened, add Knors vegetable mix, salt, chopped bacon, 1 cup swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese and diced tomato. Stir to evenly mix in.
- Pour sauce over pasta.
- Top pasta/sauce with ½ cup swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until pasta is heated through and cheese on top has melted.