I absolutely love the cooler weather we have been having. Rain and thunderstorms happen to be my absolute favorite weather.
It has been rainy and cold here the past few days and all I have wanted is a warm bowl of soup and chili. It is like my total heaven. Curling up with a blanket and sipping on soup while listening to the rain.
This version of chili was created by my talented mother and packed with flavor and kick of heat and spice- perfect for those chilly and cold days.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans of drained kidney beans
- ⅓ cup chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 2 Tablespoons mesa flour
- Brown ground beef. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, water, crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 min. If you would like a thicker chili mix ⅓ cup water and 2 Tablespoons mesa flour together and add to the chili after it has simmered 20 minutes and cook an additional 5 minutes.