It is almost that time where the zucchinis in our gardens take over. Sometimes there is so much zucchini that we don’t know what to do with it all!
These cookies are a variation of my Banana Cookies and are absolutely delightful! They are light cake-like cookies topped with a delicious buttercream frosting. The zucchini provides a fun and yummy texture to the cookies and is a good way to sneak in some veggies without the kids knowing it ;)
Definitely put this on your zucchini recipe list. You will be SO happy that you did!
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1¾ cups quick oats
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together in a large bowl and stir to combine ingredients well. Cut in shortening. Beat in egg until well combined. Add zucchini and oats and beat until evenly mixed in.
- Spoon drops of cookie dough onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- Cream butter in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Add more milk and/or powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cookies once they are completely cooled and sprinkle the tops with a little nutmeg.