This pregnancy is wrapping up fast. The, I only have a week left, kind of fast. I am just wondering when he will decide to make his big debut! I have been the biggest procrastinator getting things ready for this baby boy of mine. I finally got around to washing his clothes LAST night. As the time is drawing near to delivery, it makes me a both excited and sad all at the same time. Sad you ask? Yes, because I am one of those women that seriously LOVES being pregnant. I love feeling the baby move inside me, I love watching my tummy grow and I love the anticipation of the arrival of the new little one. I also LOVE eating and feel I can get away with it a lot more when pregnant ;) Food baby=the real baby haha!
One thing I have specifically been craving this last stretch of pregnancy is lemon. Not full blown-in-your-face lemon, but desserts with a subtle hint of it. Even thinking about this recipe makes me want to hop up and go make a batch of it right this instant. Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake. It is AMAZING! It melts in your mouth and is full of refreshing delicious flavor. My family could not stop raving about it.
- 1 cup butter
- 1¾ cups sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest together for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat an addition minute per egg.
- In a separate large bowl, mix and combine dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients alternatively with the buttermilk to the butter/sugar/lemon zest/egg mixture. Fold in blueberries.
- Grease and flour either 2 large bread pans or 3 small bread pans.
- Pour batter and bake at 350 degrees F for 55 to 60 min.
- Let loaves cool and pour glaze over them.
- Whisk glaze ingredients together until smooth.
(recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker)