Caprese Salad is one of my favorite recipes. It tastes so fresh, delicious and healthy. It is so basic and simple, but the flavors truly speak for themselves. Every flavor and texture compliments the others perfectly so that each bite is satisfactory and pleasing to the palate.
It dawned on me a couple weeks ago to take this recipe and apply it to a classic summer favorite, a pasta salad. This salad would be the perfect for upcoming summer pot lucks, BBQs or get togethers. It is super quick to throw together and is definitely a crowd pleaser!
- 16 oz. Rotini pasta, Pasta shells would work great, too
- 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 36 grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup chopped basil leaves
- 16 oz. block Mozzarella cheese, diced into half inch cubes
- ¼ cup Creamy balsamic dressing, I prefer Newman's Own brand. More or less depending on personal taste
- Cook pasta according to packages directions. Once cooked, drain out water and rinse pasta thoroughly with cold water.
- Toss pasta with olive oil, salt, minced garlic, tomato halves, chopped basil and cubed mozzarella cheese until evenly coated and distributed.
- Last, evenly drizzle and lightly toss creamy balsamic dressing into pasta to evenly cover.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and store in fridge until ready to serve. NOTE: If it chills in the fridge for a length of time, you may need to add more creamy balsamic dressing or olive oil as pasta will absorb some of the moisture.
(recipe adapted from: Annie’s Eats)