Almost a year ago, I joined my husband at the Wynn in Las Vegas for one of his business trips. It was fabulous. When he was off doing business, I lounged around in my incredible hotel room and relaxed. We left the babies with my parents. Silence is not something I hear very often being a mom to two kids 3 and under (and at that time they were 2 and under), so being by myself, in the quiet, was definitely a much needed experience. I blogged, napped, read and ate for both days I was there.
Inside the Wynn is this yummy little bakery. It was then and there I sampled their “Creme Brûlée Muffins.” Yes, you did read muffins plural. I brought a few of those up to the room with me and lets just say, “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” isn’t always true… I wish, I definitely took home a couple pounds and had to do some extra cardio when I got home because of those muffins. BUT I vowed to try and re-create it.
Since then, I have been on the hunt for a good muffin base. I have had so many muffins fail me. Too crumbly, too dry, you name it. FINALLY, I opened up the question to my lovely Facebook friends. Thank goodness because it was SO helpful! It seems sour cream is definitely a key ingredient to soft muffins. I adapted a recipe from Smitten Kitchen that appeared to be pretty delicious and the end result was great!
Now disclaimer, these do not taste exactly like the Wynn’s muffins. In fact, I will still be trying to get more of the true Creme Brûlée flavor, BUT these muffins are delicious nevertheless and have some Creme Brûlée Coffee Creamer to give it a creme brûlée flavor and a coffee cake sugar crumb both inside and on top.
Creme Brûlée Muffins
By March 20, 2013
The flavors of a fancy dessert in a simple, soft and delicious muffin!
IngredientsPrint This Recipe
- 5 Tbsp. butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup Creme Brûlée Coffee Creamer
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- . . SUGAR CRUMB FILLING/TOPPING
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup flour
- First make sugar crumb filling. In a medium bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Cut in COLD butter until a crumb is formed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in egg.
- Add sour cream and Creme Brûlée Coffee Creamer and blend until well combined.
- In a small-medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Pour half of dry ingredients into batter and stir in with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Add in remaining half of batter until just combined. Don't over stir. Note that the batter WILL BE THICK. Totally normal and perfect.
- Grease a large muffin tin (6 muffins) with cooking spray. If using a regular 12 muffin tin, adjust your measurements accordingly.
- Drop enough batter in the bottom of each muffin tin to coat. Sprinkle some crumb mixture over batter. Layer another layer of batter over the top of crumb. Layer a second layer of crumb. Layer a third layer of batter over the top and top with one final layer of crumb mixture. Muffin tins should be about 2/3 to 3/4 full so plan layers accordingly. You can freeze any left over crumb for later use.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
(recipe adapted from: Smitten Kitchen)