Hello lovely Chef in Training readers. I’m Roxana, a self-taught baker, wanna-be photographer and the writer behind Roxana’s Home Baking.
For those of you not familiar with my blog, its main focus is baking everything from scratch. Baking not only brings me joy but completes me as well. Baking from scratch has a reputation of being too complicated and/or time-consuming, but it doesn’t have to be. Home baking may be as simple as a muffin recipe or something more laborious like a yeast bread or a layer cake.
Most of the recipes found on my blog rely on simple techniques everyone can master with a little bit of patience.
I’m honored to be here, on Nikki’s awesome blog. She’s so talented and have admired her for so long! I had a hard time deciding what to make for today but in the end decided to make a simple Italian Easter Pie.
Technically it’s a cheesecake, not a pie, buy hey, I didn’t invent the name. To make it you start with a pie crust. After the crust is chilled and rolls out the filling it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy, I mean orange squeezy since I added some orange extract and orange zest to the filling. You’ll also one 15 oz container of ricotta cheese and four eggs, and of course, chocolate chips.
This pie reminded me of the chocolate and orange ricotta cookies I’ve shared a few weeks ago. The filling it’s creamy like a cheesecake but lighter. My favorite dessert is cheesecake but sometimes I found it a little heavy, but not this pie. And the orange touch makes it so flavorful, so irresistible.
There’s just one thing I would change to the recipe. Instead of adding the chocolate chips to the cheese filling I would sprinkle them on top of the filling, once it’s poured in the pie crust. This way you make sure each slice with have almost the same amount of chocolate.
- 1⅔ cup (200 grams) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold diced butter
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- pinch of baking powder
- 15 oz (425 grams) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- To make the pie crust add all the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse for about 2 minutes until it forms a ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- When the dough is chilled, place it on a lightly floured surface and roll it out in a 10 inch diameter circle. Cover the bottom and the sides of a 9 " pie pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for few more minutes.
- In the meantime heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta cheese, sugar, flour, orange zest and orange extract.
- In another mixing bowl whisk the eggs, until creamy yellow in color, for about 5 minutes. Fold the eggs into the cheese mixture.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, slightly press them in.
- Bake for 50 minutes without opening the oven.
- When the time is up, turn off the oven, crack open the door and let the pie completely cool. Just before serving dust with powder sugar.
- Slice and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you should subscribe via email to get future updates sent straight to your inbox
Thank you Nikki for allowing me to blog sit for you today!