Lets talk about these for a second.
I think sometimes casseroles get a negative connotation with the name because people associate them with sloppy, cheap or a mixture of “stuff” combined into one dish. I beg to differ.
I LOVE casseroles. I mean sometimes combining your favorite stuff into a simple dish makes the BEST meals! So much flavor with so little effort.
This is one of those casseroles that is a favorite at our dinner table. Sometimes rolling enchiladas in the sauce gets messy, and while not outrageously tedious as far as the work level goes, it still requires some time. This casserole cuts the messy and the time and makes it SO simple… as if enchiladas needed more simplicity, this recipes gives it to you!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
By January 17, 2013
The great flavor of chicken enchiladas, with only a fraction of the work!
IngredientsPrint This Recipe
- 7-8 large flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cup Your favorite Salsa
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (8 oz) bag shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 can cream of chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked and shredded chicken, salsa, black beans, corn, cumin and chili powder. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Layer 2 tortillas on the bottom of greased pan. NOTE: You may need to trim 1 tortilla to fit the gaps left by the two tortillas on each level.
- Place half of the chicken mixture on top of tortillas and evenly spread across.
- Top with about 1/2-2/3 cup shredded cheese (about 1/3 of the bag) and evenly spread/sprinkle across the chicken mixture.
- Next pour 1/3 of enchilada sauce evenly over cheese.
- Repeat layers of tortilla, chicken mixture, cheese and enchilada sauce) then top with one last layer of tortillas. Evenly spread remaining enchilada sauce over the top level of tortillas.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and 1/2 can cream of chicken soup. Stir together completely. Evenly spread over the top tortilla layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake for an addition 5-10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and casserole is heated through.