Now that fall is making its way into my life and the weather is cooling down, I am totally happy and content to make soup :) Soup is wonderful… particularly this soup.
Fact about my husband: He hates tomatoes. Why? I will never know. I used to as a kid, but my adult tastebuds have shown me the light and how wonderful this veggie can be!
2nd Fact about my husband: He tried this soup and LOVED it. That is no exaggeration. He said it tasted like something fancy he would order from a fancy Italian restaurant. The tomatoes didn’t even bother him.
So there you have it, even my tomato-hating husband loved this soup. Which means, all you tomato haters out there just might too!
This soup is definitely in my top 3 favorites.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
By September 17, 2012
Perfect for the cooler days! It is one of my absolute favorite soups!
IngredientsPrint This Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 heaping Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. chicken base*
- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil about 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves and chop
- 1/2 tsp. pepper more if needed TT
- 1/2 tsp. salt more if needed TT
- milk if needed to thin to desired consistency
- Melt butter in saucepan. Once melted add garlic and sauté for a minute or two. Stir in flour and make a roux.
- Once roux is formed, slowly pour in half and half, stirring as you pour. Stir consistently until it begins to thicken.
- Stir in chicken base, diced tomatos, tomato puree, sugar, basil, pepper and salt. Stir until heated through. If needed add milk to soup to thin it out to desired consistency
* Chicken Base is like a paste version of chicken broth/buillion. It is more concentrated that broth. Here is the kind/brand I use. You can easily find either this or other brands at your grocery store.