Oreo Truffle Brownies

My husband LOVES Oreo Truffles… almost a little too much!  Sometimes I think he would feel complete in life if he could eat those for the rest of his life!

I love them too, but I also LOVE brownies!

Funny story for you.

I don’t think it is normal for a person to think about food as much as I do. Seriously… It is UNREAL! It seems I think the most about food when I am supposed to be fast asleep… which is a problem.  People should not be thinking about food at 1 in the morning. My hubby and I were cuddling the other night falling asleep and then it dawned on me, in big neon letters in my mind, “OREO TRUFFLE BROWNIES.” Could it be?!  I immediately turned to my husband, who was half asleep, and shook him until I knew he was responsive, then said, “Derek! You are going to LOVE what I cook up tomorrow!”  I proceeded to go on and on about it and why it was such a fabulous concoction. Thank goodness he is so patient with his food blogging wife :)

I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before. This recipe is a true winner! The next morning I googled it to see if it had been made before, and my cute friend from Crazy for Crust thought up the idea too.  My recipe is different (I use my own Oreo Truffles and brownie recipe), but I wanted to give her a shout out too because great minds think alike :) My hubby took them into work and said they disappeared within minutes… there is nothing that makes my heart smile more than to hear people love my food! (okay there are a few things, but this is up there with them!)

Oreo Truffle Brownies

Oreo Truffle Brownies!  This recipe is AMAZING!

By Chef in Training August 8, 2012

These brownies are insanely good! This is the perfect dessert to wow your guests!

1. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and blend well. Add vanilla, salt, cocoa and flour. Don’t overbeat. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
  2. While brownies are cooling, make Oreo truffle layer. Crush Oreos finely in a food processor or by putting them in a ziplock bag and smashing them until finely ground with a rolling pin. When Oreos are finely crushed, using hands (or a spoon, I just think hands are faster), mash softened cream cheese and crushed Oreos until well combined. Start with 4 oz and keep adding until desired consistency is reached. When Brownies have cooled completely, place layer of Oreo truffle on top.
  3. Melt dipping chocolate (you can use chocolate chips or other chocolate candy coating) and pour and spread evenly over the top of the Oreo truffle layer. Cover and put in fridge until set.

Comments

LOVE this whole post– gorgeous brownies, gorgeous pictures, and I think your shout out to Dorothy is so classy. Nothing warms my heart like bloggers who go out of their way to mention the creative genius of other bloggers :)

Wonderful response! If you hadn’t written about giving credit to a fellow blogger, then I definitely would have. YOU are class as well for mentioning that. If only the world were filled more with people like u. :-)

Hello, come to mama! These look fabulous. Chocolate, cream cheese, and Oreos could never be bad!

WOW! These look amazing!

Hooooly lusciousness. These look awesome. Gorgeous pictures and post! I agree with Ashton–I love when bloggers share creative ideas (because let’s face it, we all get the same ideas sometimes!) but it’s very classy and nice to know you truly are an awesome blogger, not just for food and content, but for YOU!

These look beautiful! Can’t wait to try them! Now to find how to follow you..
    ~betty

Oh wow! Brownies are my favourite and Oreo’s can only make things even more perfect! These look delicious :)

Oh.wow. These look insanely amazing! I am always thinking of food, too. What food blogger doesn’t?

Me thinks you should be training Me :) Fabulous brownie and such a beautiful blog!

These look so fudgey and delicious. Definitely one for the weekend.

Oh my goodness these look so delicious. These are going on the must try list.

Thanks for the shout out Nikki! I love the look of these and I need to try your brownie recipe!

These look amazing and I really want to try them, but I’m a little confused! I’m not seeing that melted chocolate layer in these pictures? And did you put extra crumbs on top? Just want these beauties to turn out perfect and exactly as you intended! Thanks!

The melted chocolate layer hardens on top… like the oreo truffles have a harder chocolate coating around them, this layer is just layered on top. It hardens up and is not runny once it sets. And yes, I sprinkled some extra garnish of Oreo crumbs on top immediately after putting on the dipping chocolate (before it set) so that they stay in place. You can do this but it is not a must, its more just for presentation. I hope that helps!

oh. my. god.

… that is all

OOO, these sound so yummy! I think I’ll try these for my husband’s business partner, who absolutely loves when I make oreo truffles. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Carrie

They look awesome and I cannot wait to try them. There is only one thing I would do different – not too crazy about the oreo truffles with cream cheese – I make mine with instant chocolate pudding mixed with 1/2 cup cold milk (kraft recipe); the rest of the recipe is the same. Love your site and have marked many of your recipes to try! Thanks for sharing all with us :)

These look fabulous! Brilliant idea! These would disappear with in minutes here!

everything i love! brownies, oreos, chocolate, cream cheese! just add some peanut butter in there somewhere! beautiful pictures too! can you tell me the name of the font that you used on brownies? i love it!

I just finished making these :) easy enough to make and they look delicious. I did forget to set aside some Oreos to crumble on top though :( I hope they’re good!

Had trouble with this recipe. The Oreo layer does not stick to the brownie layer so when I cut them they separate. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. I wonder if placing a ganache layer on the brownies when they are fresh out of the oven would help , then place the Oreo layer, then the melted chocolate layer once cooled.

Del. Ici. Ous! Yes, absolutely. I may have to try these…like ASAP!

I’m totally going to make these today! Everyone in my office is SO excited :) Thanks for the recipe.

They look soooo delicious and I wanna try them, but we are only 2 people. Can I freeze them ?

This sounds SO INSANELY delicious!!! I must try it today!! Thanks for a fantastic idea!!

These look so yummy!! I cannot wait to try them – I bet my husband will love them! Stopping by from TT&J – Have a great weekend!

Amanda

These look sooo good! My hubby is a major brownie man and with the oreos and cream cheese, these sound amazing. Will definitely have to try them. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

I made this last weekend and they were very tasty!! My brownie layer, however, came out cakey and not fudgy like yours. Is there supposed to be oil in the recipe?

I am so glad to hear you liked them. As far as them turning out cakey, It could be the cooking time. I sometimes just slightly undercook mine because I like them a little fudgier but only by a minute or so. Or depending on your elevation it could be you need to add a little less flour. I live in Utah, so I find the amount to be fine. It could also be over stirring. I hope any of these suggestions were able to help that problem. Let me know if you ever try them again and what worked for you :)

Mine turned out cakey, too. And the oreo crumb/almond bark layer did not adhere to the brownies – when I cut them up, they separated. Hmmmm. I might spread a little melted chocolate between the two layers and “smoosh” them together to make them stick!

I just realized I accidentally typed 1 cup of sugar instead of 2. This could be one of the reasons. So so so sorry about that. It is actually 2 cups of sugar. Melted chocolate would definitely help them adhere to the brownies :) I did not have problem with them sticking, but for those who do, that is a fantastic suggestion :)

Ok, so my husbands co-workers bribe him to get me to make the truffles. This is such a great way for me to save time and just make them in a tray… genius! Hint: if you want a desert, I just say I’m making them for husband to bring to work so that I can have one but send the rest out of my house before I get too crazy :)

heather larson says:

After the oreos were crumbed I found it very easy to just put the cream cheese into the food processor. Worked great!

Made these as a dessert selection for a progressive dinner. I was dessert hostess, and thought it would be nice to offer something with chocolate. Came across your recipe, and the brownies looked delicious and fairly easy to make. I have a few tips for those of you who want to try this recipe, and hope your brownies turn out better than mine. #1 I did not have butter on hand (which is rare for me!) and used margarine instead to make the base brownie. This part of the brownie was sort of bland and not very moist…maybe because I didn’t use butter…? Certainly didn’t look as nice as the pic above. #2: i forgot to reserve the 4-5 oreos for garnish, so my oreo truffle layer was dry and crumbly and I couldn’t understand why…until it was spread out…next time I will either reserve the few oreos or just adjust and use more softened cream cheese. Either way, this was hard to spread over the brownie layer. #3: I barely had enough melted almond bark to cover the top (I used the recommended amt chef gave), so next time, I would use a few more ounces of almond bark. Finally, I made these a few hours before I would be serving them, so I left them to “set” in fridge (as indicated) but they really didn’t need too much time, maybe 20 min would have sufficed. They were difficult to cut and serve, and crumbles a lot while eating. I left them on my counter overnight after serving, and they were a much better texture and easier to eat, softer than night before. I might try these again knowing that first batch had some glitches.

I doubled the cream cheese because the consistency seemed very dry. It stuck to the brownie mixture really well. These were very rich and yummy, and really pretty too.

I had the same problems as everyone else! Mine were really cakey, so dry in fact we didn’t even really eat them. Also, the oreo layer did not stick to the brownie part. I thought it was just me but I’m glad I’m not the only one. Not sure what I could have done different.

I love that you sent them with your husband into work. I do the same thing with whatever I bake! Can’t have all the calories around the house calling my name. Just one taste is all I need! :)

As I began reading the recipe a bit of clarity sunk in…. ‘start with 4 ounces of soften cream cheese’……. When I first read ingredients list and saw 4-8ounces cream cheese, I’m thinking 4 eight ounces pkgs! Wow that’s ALOT of cream cheese. LOL Recipe will definitely get made! Thanks!

I noticed this brownie recipe only has 1 cup sugar where your original brownie recipe had 2 cups, does that change the consistency at all? I’m currently trying these with mint oreos. I’m excited to see how they turn out!

oh my goodness! Thank you SO MUCH for catching that! That was a big WHOOPS on my part! It is still 2 cups of sugar. Really, thanks so much and have a great day! You will have to let me know how you like them!

Chef in training people are saying they had trouble with the Oreo mixture adhering to the brownies I’m fixing to make these any tips . Also should I cut them after i put the top chocolate layer on to ensure pretty cuts .. Any suggestions would be appreciated .. Making them tomorrow night . Thanks Amy

I made these for my hubby’s poker, and let me tell you they were gone in 5 minutes! All the guys were requesting that I make more while they played so they could enjoy more on their “break”! :) Thanks for posting yummie recipes. I use a lot of them and every one is enjoyed by family and friends! Thanks for keeping our tummies full with yummie food!

Kayesha Austin says:

Omg these look like heaven! I have the same issue as you do, I think about food ALL the time, I love food! And I love making new homemade concoctions! Keep it up girl, your food looks delicious!

I made these and they looked delicious. My only thing is the chocolate on top hardens so when I cut mine the chocolate cracked and really looked bad. I’m thinking maybe cut them after you spread the chocolate and then refrigerate?

Just made these, one tray with Oreos, one with Andes mints !! Yum!!!!

Made these yesterday! Super yummy.. My kids scarfed them. Thanks for the great recipe.

I found these through pinterest and made them for a Halloween party I’m going to tonight. Instead of chocolate on top, I put ganache that I had in my fridge. They are INCREDIBLE! What a brilliant and tasty idea! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

you should make a video!! please do!!

rachel anderson says:

how many servings is this?

Mine turned out great! I’m making them for a friend overseas and was going to send them when I realized I used cream cheese!!! So I’m looking for a good substitute for cream cheese that doesn’t need to be refrigerated.. Any ideas? Maybe Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting? thanks for this recipe!

April Bean says:

Yes, I would clarify more on the cream cheese. I seriously had out FOUR BLOCKS of cream cheese ready to add in one at a time. I put in two blocks before reading through all the comments and received this clarification!!! Hopefully, the two blocks won’t be too overbearing because I can’t start over now.

Kelsi Nicole says:

This is the greatest recipe ever! I’m so happy I stumbled upon it and thank you so much for sharing! I’ve made at least 5 batches already for Christmas parties and they’ve been a hit every time!

chubbycjhops says:

These brownies are delicious. My base came out firm and not soft as the picture dictates, but it could be because I guessed the temp as I work in Celsius. Baked at 180, will check actual conversion next time. My Oreo layer was also thinner, but thats easily rectified, more biscuits and cream cheese and whola. They tasted great and I will make them again which is unusual for me. :-)

Hi nikki! I’m in the uk and have been wanting to make these for ages. Just set about converting the recipe from cups… Just one question though I have mostly made brownies with either dark sugar or golden caster sugar and while converting I have the option of both as it states 1 cup of caster is 225g but brown sugar is less. Which do you use? And is 1 cup 225g over in the states?
    Thanks!!! :)

lauryn gondek says:

I would love to make these asap! BUT it doesn’t say how much cocoa to use so, how much?!

Kara Clayton says:

Hi, I saw this recipe on Pintrest and made it for our staff in December. I had some of the same issues mentioned. I made some adjustments to the recipe and I have to see that these are absolutely SUBLIME!

1. I used two 8 oz packages of cream cheese.
    2. I did not use the almond bark/melted chocolate because of the adhering problem that others mentioned. Instead, I made a Boston Cream Pie-Style topping which, when cooled, became semi-solid instead of rock hard solid. The recipe for the topping was 6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips, 4 TBSP butter. Melt the two ingredients together and stir constantly in a heavy duty sauce pan (I used a dbl boiler). Add 4 oz of whipping cream in a steady stream to melted chocolate & butter mixture. Stir until well-blended. Pour onto and spread over the Oreo truffle layer.

Thank you for the really great recipe.

Oh, how I wish I had read your comment a few hours ago! I made mine with the almond bark and it is, like you said, rock hard solid. I even used a little less than called for so the layer isn’t terribly thick. It’s so hard to cut through…it just mashes the brownie and Oreo layer and cracks apart wherever it wants to rather than where I want it to cut. Next time I will for sure use your topping recipe!

The brownie layer didn’t set!

I made these with a twist. My hubs LOVES the combo of mint and chocolate and so I used Mint Oreos and used white chocolate with green food coloring and peppermint extract for the chocolate layer. SOOOOO good! Thanks for the idea!

I made these yesterday. I followed the recipe exactly. I used 8 oz. cream cheese. The brownie and the cream cheese/oreo part were excellent. I would probably use something different than almond bark next time. Definitely a great recipe. I had no problem with the cream cheese and brownie coming apart. And the brownie was nice and fudgy.

I made these brownies for my boyfriend for Valentine’s day this year. He loves brownies and Oreos so I had to make these asap. I made the brownies and followed the recipe exactly and it came out super candy. I had to bake it double the amount of time because it was so soupy and not Don yet. Not sure if something is missing from the recipe. Not very happy with the outcome of them.

These taste great!!! But how in the world did you get your cuts to look so pretty? My almond bark top layer is practically rock-hard. I even used a little less than called for so the layer isn’t terribly thick. It’s so hard to cut through…it just mashes the brownie and Oreo layers and cracks apart wherever it wants to rather than where I want it to cut. Not pretty…nothing like your picture.
    And with the cream cheese in it, are these supposed to be stored in the fridge? It only says to put in fridge until set.

I just made these. I had the same problem as other bakers, I noticed the truffle layer didn’t want to stick to the brownie layer. Now mind you, I have cut into these brownies yet. I had to cook mine 35 minutes.

I decided I was going to show that truffle layer who was boss! When spreading anything, I like to use my small, offset spatula. I used a little force and “made it” adhere to the brownie layer. There was no muss, no fuss. I then melted a 12 ounce bag of semi sweet chocolate chips for the last layer and spread that with my trusty off set spatula. Looking forward to cutting into these bad boys tomorrow when we celebrate some birthdays. I’ll be bringing them close to room temp before cutting.

Hi. Stupid question, but how many oreo cookies are there in the packet you refer to? Thanks!

Caroline says:

I just finished making these for a dessert bar at school tomorrow. I didn’t have any almond bark so I used chocolate chips instead. One thing I did that I always do when I make chocolate peanut butter bars is let the chocolate cool for a short time but not until it’s all the way set. I get it out when I can cut it without them cracking, then stick them back in the fridge until serving time. Can’t wait to taste them tomorrow!

I made these for a gathering last week and it was the only pan of brownies that was empty. They were delicious. Thank you for an awesome recipe! I’m exited to try the idea with other truffle recipes!

These look absolutely amazing! I love brownies and oreos and can’t wait to try these :)

Blessy says:

Hey Nikki
    I would like to try making these brownies; but I have some doubts.
    About the oreo truffle bit, you said to mix in the cheese in parts till desired consistency is reached. What kind of consistency is good it to be spread over the brownies: semi-runny or more thinner? Is it easy to spread this layer of Oreo truffle on the brownie?
    Thanks :) !!

I came to your blog for the first time via a link on Brown Eyed Baker…and just about died laughing reading this blog post, because it is SO FAMILIAR! I read it out loud to my husband and following conversation went something like this:, “That doesn’t sound familiar at all.” “Do I really do that??” “Not…often…” Hahaha! He is also very patient with me when I babble on about food and try new recipes. :) Anyway, these look divine and once I can properly eat again (I am on a restricted diet following stomach surgery a couple of weeks ago) I will be making them for sure.

I can totally relate to thinking about food WAY too often! These brownies look so good!! Hopefully your hubby liked them as much as the truffles!

josephine mullane says:

Great recipe! Great results! I used 8 oz. cream cheese and added it to the crushed Oreos in the blender. Suggestion for the melted chocolate layer on top: Add some paraffin wax to the chocolate (I used chocolate chips). Add about 1/2 tsp. and allow to melt. Keep adding wax in small amounts until the chocolate is of spreading thickness. This allows for easier pouring, slicing, and a glossy finish.

YUMMY

All of my willpower just flew straight out of the window! Holy wow!

Oh Nikki – they look amazing!!!

Siobhan says:

My birthday was this past Friday (7/19), so I made a batch of these and brought them into work. They were a huge hit! I’m forwarding your site to half of the people I work with so they can have the recipe as well. Delicious!

Hi, I’ll try this week but I must to know something… In Switzerland I don’t know if I can found some cream cheese…?? And I was 1year in USA In 2011 and I don’t remember exactly what is it too ? Is that Philadelphia (cream cheese ) ? Thank you !! And Amazing web site ! Thank you

I made this recipe today, I havent tried it yet but it looks amazing! (It’s cooling for the oreo layer as I type this) Just wanted to say, maybe it was my baking dish, but mine took a lot longer than 20-25 min for the toothpick to come out clean. Probably an addition ten minutes! Just wanted you all to know, unless it was just me!

Krystal dELL says:

I the picture it doesn’t look like you did the top layer of drizzled chocolate. It looks more like chocolate shavings. I plan to make these and i’m just thinking once I put these in the frig to cool and take them out it will be hard to cut them with a solid chocolate top layer. Can’t wait to try them though.

These turned out amazing! I ended up using 6oz of cream cheese instead of 4oz. For me the oreo layer was the hardest part it wasn’t spreading very easily. But once I got past that it was very easy. It turned out perfect! I would make these again. The brownie recipe also worked well for me. Everyone loved them!

These brownies look amazing…can’t wait to try them..serious preggy cravings…only problem is, I live in a town that only stocks regular oreo’s and marscapone creAm cheese.. Will those suffice?

I cannot WAIT to make these! I make Oreo truffles often, too, because they’re always such a hit, but all that rolling and dipping is just exhausting. I’m hoping these can be a nice, less time-consuming substitute!

Ok, I know cake is kind of traditional for birthdays, but the husband will melt over these! Definitely something to think about for me.

Even with 8 oz cream cheese, the truffle layer does not cover a 9 x 13 pan of brownies. Nor does it look anything like the picture. Has anyone tried this recipe and had success? Seems like everyone just thinks its a good idea….

I always search for recipes that involve ingredients i already have in my food cupboard and that are not too difficult, and this one doesnt seem impossible!
    The only thing is, can i use single/double cream instead of the cream cheese? Or would it not work? Please do reply. Thank you

Fran Carroll says:

Recipe calls for dipping chocolate. Could that be discs melted down – as in candy making?

Do u use the cream of the Oreo? Or just the cookie part of the Oreo? I need to know ASAP!!!!

So sorry I am so late responding. I was out of town all weekend. But yes you do use the cream :)

These are totally amazing! I’ve made them with the double stuffed oreos and with mint oreos. Both excellent. I can’t get the chocolate layer to stick, though. I only use 4 oz cream cheese, and I pat the truffle layer down. Maybe it will stick if I use more cream cheese so it spreads. The rest of the recipe works.

I love your photos! Can I ask what font you use for the handwriting?

Hello
    i want to make these for a party in two days i have so much other baking to do i was wondering if there is any tips you may have to keep the browines fresh?
    thanks :)