Nutella Banana Cookies

I had some bananas going bad that were sitting on my countertop and needed to use them up! I resorted to one of my favorite cookie recipes, my banana cookie recipe but wanted to put a delicious spin on it… of course, I resorted to Nutella!

These cookies were DELICIOUS!  The moistness of the banana cookie with surprise streaks of Nutella made them perfect!

Do you have bananas starting to go bad?!… Give this recipe a try! You will be glad you did!

Nutella Banana Cookies

Nutella Banana Cookies!  A great way to use up ripe bananas! They are SO good!

By Chef in Training August 5, 2012

These cookies are the perfect way to use up some ripe bananas! They taste amazing!

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
  2. Sift flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
  3. Cut in shortening
  4. Beat in mashed ripe bananas and egg.
  5. Mix in oats.
  6. take a knife and "slice" nutella into batter with a knife. Don't mix it in completely, the stripes are what make them pretty!
  7. Spoon "drops" onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes. (Note: this is a lot softer than normal cookie dough and will not form balls, hence spoon “drops”)
  8. You can frost these cookies if you would like too! Here is my easy buttercream recipe: 1/2 cup butter-softened, 3 Tbsp. milk, 2 tsp. vanilla, 1 box (16 oz.) powdered sugar. Beat all ingredients together. You can add more milk or powdered sugar to get it to the consistency you want it.

Comments

Oh wow – what are you doing to us?! My husband would LOVE these.

Wow, these look amazing – love banana and chocolate together, wow! :)

YUM!!

Nikki, these look delish!

Recipe sounds delicious! Can you use anything in place of the shortening?

Streaks of Nutella in anything makes me very happy, but in a banana cookie it is even better!!! These look fantastic!!!!

What a wonderful recipe. Each time I have rip bananas I make muffins or bread, all the time…so this is an excellent recipe to have a variation at home. And who can resists to Nutella???
    Thanks so much Nikki to share it.

You are the cookie queen, dear Nikki! Nutella + banana, how could you go wrong combining the two? Beautiful pictures too :)

This looks like a great way to use up old bananas!

Just gorgeous and they use 2 of my faves in one: bananas (ripe)- always need to find a use AND Nutella…mmm!!

Pinned!

MmmmM…I think I need help…I’m addicted to nutella and this may ruin my recovery! LOL!

Nutella and bananas were made to got together! Yum!

susan kohut says:

yummm

WOW! OK, seriously….will you marry me? Ya know Kroger sells bad bananas in bunches for like 20 cents a pound! I’m going to have to go get some right now! I already have Nutella. I’m in love with Nutella! :)

p.s. is it just me or does anyone else hear Gwen Stefani’s banana song in there head when the spell out banana!? LOL

Made them today for my families lobster bake! My dad loved them!

Stephanie says:

Good moring,

These look sooooo good but I have the same question about the shortening could something else be used? Thanks!!

Just cooked these … OMGoodness! They are super yummy! The only thing I did wrong was to over stir in the nutella … Next time I will carefully cut it in to make the pret chocolate streaks.. Other than that – yumminess!

Just made these, and they are incredible!!!! A combination of banana bread, muffin tops, and cookies. Substituted the shortening for 3/4 cup of smart balance light, and they tasted great! I made one batch of small sized cookies and only cooked them for 6 minutes (I might even suggest 5 minutes). I made another batch of cookies that were a bit larger in size and cooked them for 8.

For those of you asking about a substitute for shortening, I used just under 1/2 cup of applesauce in its place. The texture is probably a bit different without the fat, but they are still very good!

I made these cookies today, so good! Thank you for posting the recipe!

Gonna try these and try adding a few walnuts

Just made these and they are DELICIOUS!! I am always hesitant to try a new recipe that doesn’t have a lot of reviews/comments (don’t like to waste ingredients) but boy am I glad I tried these. My three year old son helped and I keep catching him in the kitchen stealing cookies now that they’re done! Made with whole wheat flour also and can’t imagine they’re any better with white flour. :) Thanks for the recipe!!

Hi! What do you mean by “spoon drops” I try to find the translation but did not succeed (I speak Spanish)

April McCormick says:

I DO have 2 bananas that I almost threw away this morning…cookie time!

Hey, I was inspired by this recipe and came up with this one: http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2012/09/whole-wheat-peanut-butter-oatmeal.html

No nutella but peanut butter and chocolate chips instead. YUM! Thanks for the inspiration!

Michele Thornton says:

Nutella makes any kind of chocolate dessert more decadent.

Just made these and ooooh my gooooodness… They are so tasty! Yummm! Thank you for the recipe!

Nutella for president?

By ripe bananas do you mean bananas with brown spots or completely brown ?
    Thanks

Good recipe! I added a teaspoon of vanilla and half a cup of Nutella.

I made these with Earth Balance margerine, a healthy margerine, instead of shortening, not healthy & they were yummy!

How many does this recipe make?

Old fashioned oats or quick cook oats?

Denise MacColeman says:

These are so pretty and taste great, Thanks. Easy too.

I just made these and they are delicious!!! They’re like a cross between banana bread and chocolate chip cookies. Although next time I’ll probably use half of the sugar or none at all. The bananas and nutella are enough sugar for me….but it’s absolutely up to everyone’s taste.

I can’t wait until my husband gets home and tries these.

My cookies needed more than 1 1/2 cups of flour…to make it firm….first batch came out terrible

I used butter instead of shortening. Always have brown bananas in the freezer they taste great. I think it helps to mold the dough into a ball it keeps the cookie from spreading out too much. I will make these again

When I make these cookies, they seem to either spread out too much or burn on the bottom. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

I made these yesterday and everyone loved them. They are so different which is what makes them good. Not hard to make at all. Definitely making again. Thanks for sharing!

Made these this morning, they are soo good. I read some of the comments here and tweaked them just a little. I used 2 cups of oats and the cookies are a little firm not at all runny. I also cooked them on parchment paper, not a fan of cleaning cookies sheets. Thank you.

Just tried this..Use margarine instead of shortening, turned out really good. Thanks for the wonderful recipes!

Just made these…delicious! I used Coconut Oil in place of shortening and the cookies turned out really yummy and moist. Thanks for the recipe!

Dorothy says:

These are delicious!

Hi!
    I want to ask if how do i cut the shortening
    And if somebody has a VIDEO for this pls post it i really need it tom pls….

Melissa N says:

So…. love your blog!!
    I made these cookies using your measurements but creaming the butter (opted out on shortening) and sugar together then adding the wet to the dry. AND tried it with PB instead and chocolate chips. Thanks for the great banana cookie recipe! Best I’ve tried !

Hi melissa…i want to make these and was wondering did you add the egg and the bananas to your creamed butter and eggs befor you added the dry ?

Just made this. Home smells divine.

these turned out soooooo delicious my whole family loved it….thank u for sharing the recipe.