As many of you read, I went to EVO a couple weeks ago and had the time of my life.
Upon arrival, the cute girls from eighteen25 surprised us with the most AMAZING cupcakes from Sweet Tooth Fairy. There were many options to choose from, but I bet you all can guess by now, I am a die-hard chocolate lover. The fruity stuff is great, but if there is ANYTHING involving chocolate, I’m in! These were, hands down, THE BEST CUPCAKES I HAVE EVER EATEN! If you live in Utah or are planning to visit Utah, I encourage you to go to Sweet Tooth Fairy and try her incredible cupcakes! You will be SO GLAD you did!
One bite of her Cookies and Cream cupcake, and I was hooked. Only problem is, they don’t have a store one near where I live, so I did my best to recreate it!
One of the best things about a Sweet Tooth Fairy Cupcake is the frosting. I typically am not a frosting lover, but I could eat that frosting by the spoonful! I found this copy-cat recipe over at Creative Chaos, adapted it slightly to make a Cookies and Cream variation, and boy is it ever close to the real deal. It is delicious and unlike any frosting I have ever made before!
I also sought out the best fudgey moist cake recipe I could find and this one from Good Food Gourmet did the trick! Again, I adapted it slightly to create a perfect cookies and cream cake, and it turned out delish!
Combine these two recipes and you get the PERFECT Cookies and Cream cupcake! Don’t let the number of ingredients scare you… they really are SUPER EASY to make and most of these ingredients you will have on hand! These cupcakes are seriously amazing and you will be SO GLAD you made them :)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 14 Double Stuffed Oreos, finely crushed
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 package Dream Whip, dry (you can omit if you want. Just helps with texture)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 Double Stuffed Oreos, finely crushed
- Add the sifted cocoa powder to a medium sized bowl and pour in the cup of hot liquid. Whisk until completely dissolved.
- Next add the buttermilk to cool down the mixture, then add the sugar and whisk until all is combined.
- Add the eggs, oil and vanilla and mix again.
- In a small bowl, stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk this into the wet mixture until you no longer see any lumps.
- Stir in heavy cream until evenly mixed in.
- Lastly, stir in finely crushed Oreos.
- Pour into cupcake tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-22 minutes or until done. Let cool and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat softened cream cheese and butter until smooth and blended. Add vanilla and salt and beat until well incorporated. Add Dream Whip and mix well. Add the powdered sugar and beat well. Lastly, add in the crushed Oreos and beat until well incorporated.
- Let frosting chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Once both cupcakes and frosting has chilled in fridge for at least 30 minutes, pipe frosting on top of cupcakes and enjoy! Store any left over in fridge. I personally think its best to eat them when the frosted cupcakes have chilled in fridge overnight. The more chilled... the better!
Because I LOVE this frosting… I double the frosting recipe.
Also… for those wondering what Dream Whip is, I took a picture of the box. Serveral packets come in this box. You can find it in the grocery store in the baking aisle next to the pudding boxes, cake mixes, etc.