Have you all been enjoying grilling season as much as we have?!
We have been grilling almost every day and I have been LOVING it! But what is not to love about little prep work and little clean up?!
I came across this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, The Girl Who Ate Everything, and both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I did change it up to use chicken breasts because it is what I had on hand and the end result was amazing! I do share an idea in the recipe to help your chicken breasts absorb the marinade better.
Hawaiian Grilled Chicken
By June 10, 2012
One of the best marinades you will find and is packed with AMAZING flavor
IngredientsPrint This Recipe
- 3 pounds chicken breasts The original recipe uses thighs, but I just had chicken breasts on hand and it worked perfectly
- 2 cups soy sauce If using Kikoman's, make sure its low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 bunch green onions reserve some for garnish later
- 1/4 cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. garlic minced
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- Trim chicken of any fat. For chicken breasts, since they are thicker, I poke them with a fork all over so the marinade can soak in.
- In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar, onions, garlic, sesame oil, and coconut milk.
- Pour marinade over chicken and marinate for at least four hours, overnight is preferred. (for chicken breasts, I would definitely say over night is best to ensure the flavor is greatly absorbed)
- Grill chicken until chicken is cooked through, switching sides half way through.
- It is delicious over coconut rice, garnished with green onions and any additional soy sauce if needed!
- To make coconut rice: Replace half of the water in your rice recipe with coconut milk.
recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything