Have you all been enjoying grilling season as much as we have?!
We have been grilling almost every day and I have been LOVING it! But what is not to love about little prep work and little clean up?!
I came across this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, The Girl Who Ate Everything, and both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I did change it up to use chicken breasts because it is what I had on hand and the end result was amazing! I do share an idea in the recipe to help your chicken breasts absorb the marinade better.
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, The original recipe uses thighs, but I just had chicken breasts on hand and it worked perfectly
- 2 cups soy sauce, If using Kikoman's, make sure its low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 1 bunch green onions, reserve some for garnish later
- ¼ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- Trim chicken of any fat. For chicken breasts, since they are thicker, I poke them with a fork all over so the marinade can soak in.
- In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar, onions, garlic, sesame oil, and coconut milk.
- Pour marinade over chicken and marinate for at least four hours, overnight is preferred. (for chicken breasts, I would definitely say over night is best to ensure the flavor is greatly absorbed)
- Grill chicken until chicken is cooked through, switching sides half way through.
- It is delicious over coconut rice, garnished with green onions and any additional soy sauce if needed!
- To make coconut rice: Replace half of the water in your rice recipe with coconut milk.
recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything