Hawaiian Grilled Chicken

Have you all been enjoying grilling season as much as we have?!

We have been grilling almost every day and I have been LOVING it!  But what is not to love about little prep work and little clean up?!

I came across this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, The Girl Who Ate Everything, and both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it!  I did change it up to use chicken breasts because it is what I had on hand and the end result was amazing! I do share an idea in the recipe to help your chicken breasts absorb the marinade better.

Hawaiian Grilled Chicken

IMG_8315-1

By Chef in Training June 10, 2012

One of the best marinades you will find and is packed with AMAZING flavor

1. Trim chicken of any fat. For chicken breasts, since they are thicker, I poke them with a fork all over so the marinade can soak in.
  2. In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar, onions, garlic, sesame oil, and coconut milk.
  3. Pour marinade over chicken and marinate for at least four hours, overnight is preferred. (for chicken breasts, I would definitely say over night is best to ensure the flavor is greatly absorbed)
  4. Grill chicken until chicken is cooked through, switching sides half way through.
  5. It is delicious over coconut rice, garnished with green onions and any additional soy sauce if needed!
  6. To make coconut rice: Replace half of the water in your rice recipe with coconut milk.

recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything

Comments

Thank you for dinner tonight! Looks yummy and easy!

Mmmm…that sounds delicious. I love coconut milk, so I’m sure this will be amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

Looks delicious – but I wish you would list the instructions in the order you are to do them. Looking at these instructions – it looks like you are supposed to grill the chicken first and then marinade them. Would be very confusing for people that don’t know how to cook (or grill).

I am very sorry about that. WordPress has recipe cards and something must have posted wrong or rearranged when I went to post the recipe. I corrected it now. I assure you when I wrote up the recipe it was posted like that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

You have a beautiful blog with a lot of inspiring posts! Congrats on your work! Would you like t follow each other?:)

Yeah that is a great recipe! So happy you are enjoying the outdoors. We are forced to stay indoors, as its winter in South Africa, and I am left to cook warm hearty meals! Soup and more soup for me…

This sounds fantastic! Pinned for later. :)

Dianne Devine says:

My husband doesn’t like coconut in any way! Could sweetened condensed milk be a substitute for the coconut milk?

I was wondering the same thing. This looks amazing…. but I hate the taste of coconut. Is there something that you can substitute for it?

Seriously. This looks great, I’m gonna go get some coconut milk right now n_n

Hi! Found your recipe via Pinterest and I’m going to make it this week. How many servings does your recipe yield?

Stephanie says:

Marinating as we speak…can’t wait to try it tomorrow!!

Jacquelyn says:

This was by far the best chicken I’ve grilled in a very long time. I marinated for two days and the flavor was perfect.

Any suggestions on how to take this and make something different with the leftovers (3 lbs is a LOT of chicken!)?

I made this tonight and the chicken was sooo good and sooo tender. Even the picky eaters loved it. I even made the coconut rice, though I used less coconut milk as I wasn’t sure how strong the flavor would be. I’ll use more next time because it was very mild. My only suggestion would be to cut back on the marinade quantities. I made about 1 1/2 lbs of chicken and divided the marinade quantities by 4, and it was still way too much. So yummy though! Def. making this again!

My husband and I just tried the Hawaiian Grilled Chicken recipe and to say we LOVED it would be an understatement! Thanks for sharing such a tasty treat!

This is the best recipe I’ve found lately. We’ve made it at least 6 times and shared the recipe each time! It is a welcome addition to our list of meals we love. Thank You!

What do you suggest if I can’t find cocnut milk, only coconut cream or water?

Not sure about the recipe but the picture is really tempting and irresistible.

These look delish! Hey Nikki i was wondering if sesame oil is the same as sesame seed oil? thanks girl!:)

I made this tonight & it was outstanding!

Kelly M says:

I made this dinner a couple of nights ago and it was fantastic! It was a hit with the whole family and I plan to make it again next week. =) The marinade does make a lot, so if you are feeding a lot of people it’s great. I halved the recipe and still had enough marinade to make the chicken and marinate some veggies and pineapple slices to throw on the grill as well. Also reserved some of the marinade to make into a sauce to serve with dinner or pour over some brown rice.

I didn’t have time to marinade this, but I really wanted to make it. I popped it all in the crock pot. My family loved it. We drizzled the extra sauce over the coconut rice. We did it on the grill the following week and decided we kinda liked it better in the crock pot. Thanks for posting such a great recipe.

Hillary says:

I’m making this tonight, has been marinating for two days. However, it is raining, so no grilling. Would you recommend baking or on the skillet?