Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad

Spring is here and summertime is on its way! One of my favorite things about this time of year is all the in-season fruit available!

Strawberries are at a super good price right now!  While you are buying some strawberries, don’t forget to make and stock up on one of my favorites, Freezer Strawberry Jam! Seriously… once you try this stuff, you will never by store bought jam again!

Today, I am sharing another great recipe using strawberries. It is the perfect dessert to take to your next BBQ or pot luck!  This recipe always gets rave reviews and is always one of the first items to go!  It is a crowd pleaser as it combines the perfect amounts of sweet and salty!

Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad

IMG_6999-3

By Chef in Training May 17, 2012

1. Combine melted butter and sugar. Stir in the crushed pretzels. Press evenly on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 minutes. Let cool completely.
  2. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and cool whip. Beat until smooth. Spread over pretzel crust. Make sure to get the cream mixture tight against the edges of the pan to prevent the jello mixture from seeping through.
  3. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Remove from stove and add jello. Stir until Jello is dissolved. Add sliced strawberries. Pour over cream layer and put in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

recipe adapted from Favorite Family Recipes

Comments

Jacquie says:

Though not quite as ‘fresh’ tasting…you can use frozen strawberries and it causes the jello to set up much faster.

the concept of this dessert always seems so strange to me but people rave about it so I guess I should give it a try :)

I’ve always wanted to know how to make this but couldn’t ever find the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Nikki, this is definitely a go-to recipe for bbqs! And guess what? I’ve NEVER tried it before.. ever! Crazy becaus eI love salty pretzels in desserts. Maybe sometime soon. Looks great!

Theresa Weed-Murguia says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this recipe!! My exes mother used to make this and it is hands down my favorite dessert!! The perfect combination of sweet, salty, crunchy and creamy!! I highly recommend it!

Can you make this the night before a cookout dinner. or does it get watery?

Lindsay says:

I always make mine the night before. It helps to make sure the jello layer is set up.

I make the crust the night before and cover then add the top two layers in the morning and chill until the afternoon. This way the pretzle crust does not get soft.

This salad has been a weakness of mine since childhood. So good. :Love your pics.

I LOVE the recipes you post. Every one I’ve tried has been so good! And I’m so glad you posted this. I knew someone who made this years and years ago and often crave it, but didn’t know how to make it. I’m so excited to have the recipe now!

And by the way, I don’t understand why people call this a dessert. It is clear in the title that it is a SALAD!! :)

Thank for posting! I’ve been looking for a different strawberry dessert to bring for a work potluck! Could you please clarify which amount of the sugar goes with the pretzal mix and which amount goes into the cream cheese spread? Thank-you!

My fiance’s cousin makes this for parties and it’s always a huge hit. I’ve never made it myself, but will have to try now that I have a recipe..thanks for sharing!

Absolutely wonderful! Great for a BBQ or just anytime. Beware it is extremely hard to stop eating A++.

This is my family’s very favorite recipe!! And, I mean, of them ALLLLLLL. We NEVER have leftovers.

What wonderful recipe. I love that you named it a salad. So that means it’s healthy for you! :)

Charmaine says:

Love this! It’s been ages since I’ve made it…but now that summer is getting near…lots of bbq’s…I think I need to make it again. I usually use frozen strawberries though as it helps to set the jello…at least that’s the recipe I was given years ago.

I have made this recipe for years. It is a family favorite. I always struggled with the crust, getting it all pressed down into the pan. I finally figured out to just put the pretzel mix in the pan, smoosh it down a bit. Cook it for the 8 minutes. Then take your pancake turner and flatten it all out! It works spectacularly!! :)

This is my most favorite. salad. ever! So yummy! I think I’ll make it this week….thanks for sharing!

Sandy Jackson says:

My Mom used to make this, and I had forgotten about it, until now…THANKS! It is wonderful on a hot summer day.

one of my very favorite treats!!

One of my absolute favorites! I haven’t had it in a couple of years, but every time I see the strawberries at the store I think, “I’m going to make it this time!!”, but haven’t yet. Your picture has inspired me.

Claudine says:

Yummy treats anytime!

I have heard a lot of people talking about how good this pretzel salad is! I definitely will have to try it…sounds perfect for the hot summer days!!

That crust looks amazing. Yum!. I’d love it if you would consider sharing it with our Summer Recipes linky party. We’re two blogs sharing one combined linky party for double exposure.

Shasta

This looks awesome! However, I’m a diabetic, and am wondering if Splenda would work well as a substitution for the sugar. I’d be interested to know your thoughts!!! Thank you!

I was wondering when I put the strwberries/and hot jello mixtuere over the cream cheese mixture, won’t it melt?

that’s what I initially thought too! Just pour it right on… No worries!.. As long as you make sure the cream cheese mixture is smeared up agains the edges of the pan (no holes or spots leaking down to the bottom, it tuns out fantastic!

I followed this recipe exactly as shown.. WAY too much fillingfor a 9×13 pan.. the cream cheese, whip topping and sugar needs to be cut in half..

My mom used to make almost this exact salad and I LOVED it. Might have to whip this up sometime soon. :)

Shirley Kline says:

I make a recipe very similar to this, only I add frozen strawberries to the hot water used in the jello recipe. It makes it set up a lot quicker. We love it in our family.

My grandma makes this every year for either Easter or thanksgiving. I love it. It’s got sweet and salty. She would never give up the recipe for it through. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve always wanted to try this recipe! I’m allergic to an ingredient in Cool Whip, though, so can’t eat it. Has anyone tried making this with homemade whipped cream?

I used something called truwhip. It’s all natural and I found it in the freezer section right next to cool whip. You might try looking for that.

My mother in law makes this but with pineapple…we love it!!! You get the sweet and salty all in one bite.

WE’VE BEEN MAKING THIS RECIPE OUT OF OUR OLD CHURCH COOKBOOK FOR YEARS, IT’S SO GOOD WITH HAM AS A SIDE DISH FOR EASTER DINNER!! WE ALWAYS USE THE FROZEN STRAWBERRIES~~ AS IT HELP SET UP THE JELLO AND IS ACTUALLY PART OF THE RECIPE PROCESS. NO ONE EVER “DOESN’T LIKE IT” !!! MOST PEOPLE GET SECONDS AND THIRD HELPINGS !!!

Ruth Elliott says:

I have made this recipe often, especially at Christmas. What is not mentioned in the instructions is that it is critical that the jello be cooled, maybe even even congealed a little, before you pour it over the cream cheese/Cool Whip layer. The hot jello can melt that layer otherwise.

I wish I would have read your comment before I made this dish tonight! The hot jello liquid melted and blended with the cream cheese/cool whip layer:(. Oh well, I am sure it will still taste good

This looks soooooooooooooo amazing! Thanks

we use pineapple juice in place of the water. also, very important to get ur middle layer all the way up to the edges otherwise the jello mixture seeps through and doesn’t look so pretty.

This recipe is also great with lemon pudding. That gives you salty, sweet, creamy and tart!

Hello! I tried this recipe tonight to take to Christmas dinner tomorrow. When I added the jello liquid to the cream/pretzel base, it melted the cream cheese/cool whip base and blended together. It does not look pretty, but I am sure it will taste great. What did I do wrong? Should I have allowed the jello to cool before adding it to the cream base?

Patricia Sattison says:

I have made this and it is amazing you will be asked to bring it to every party

Your recipe says to mix butter sugar and pretzels but you have to different amounts of sugar listed so which amount is correct?

This stuff is great! However, it is way too much to fit into a 13×9 pan. The cream cheese layer needs to be halved. I ended up throwing about half of my jello and strawberries away because it wouldn’t fit. Still tasty though!

Omg, don’t print this…I’ve gotten 15 pages and still no recipe! It’s still printing and still no recipe! Geeze…

Sorry about that. when I am still in the process of making all my recipes printable after I made the switch to wordpress. For now, if you come across a recipe that doesn’t have a print button, copy and paste it into a word doc and print it from there.

balinda barks says:

I love this stuff have been looking for the recipe THANKS!

Love your recipes! Always looking for a new way to make various things and your site has that and more.

rebecca heath says:

I tried this and my crust ended up very soggy…..what did I do wrong?? Thanks!

savanna l says:

Can I use Spendla for the sugar or will that not work?

I have made this a few times know i want to say this is really refreshing and amazing. thank you so much for sharing.
    for anyone thats curious i made the jello the night before then just spooned it on the cheamchesse when i was ready to assemble it.

I’ve tried several times to make this and mine never turns out right. The pretzels usually taste soagy even when fresh out of the oven and even with the best intentions of dealing all the sides with the cream half the time my jello still manages to find a way to seep down to the pretzel and run what ever part wasn’t already soagy. Any suggestions?!?