We are a split family when it comes to dinner choices. My daughter, if she had a choice, would have spaghetti every night… and I would choose to have Mexican every night… and my husband and son will eat just about anything.
This meal is the best of pasta and Mexican. It is DELICIOUS! I had my doubts… but let me tell you, everyone in my family LOVED this meal!
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 (10 oz.) cans green chili enchilada sauce
- ⅔ cup red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- penne pasta
- Cook chicken, drain, and shred (you could use a rotisserie chicken to make it even easier).
- While chicken is cooking, boil pasta according to package and chop the veggies.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-low heat. When oil is hot enough, add onions and cook them for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Next, add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes. After you let it simmer, add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through. Next, add in the sour cream and cook on low heat to avoid the sour cream curdling. Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.
- Drain pasta & return to pot. Pour sauce over pasta and stir well to evenly coat pasta.
- Serve warm and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.
(recipe from: Pearls, Handcuffs and Happy Hour)