I LOVE taquitos! They are seriously so delicious, When I saw this recipe for homemade BAKED taquitos over at Our Best Bites, I knew it would be on the dinner menu ASAP! My family gobbled these up. When my husband saw them, he couldn’t believe I made them…. Best part, they are SO EASY to make! Seriously, they whip up so fast and are devoured almost just as quickly :)
Another awesome thing about this recipe, is you can freeze them instead of baking for a dinner at a later date. I love freezer make ahead meals!
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican flavored cheese
- small flour or corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Once combined, stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken and cheese; mix thoroughly.
- Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can and place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and make sure to leave space between each taquito.
- Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until crisp and golden in color.
**To freeze: Before baking, flash freeze the taquitos in a single layer on a baking sheet then place in a labeled freezer bag and store up to 3 months. To bake a frozen taquito (no need to thaw first): Preheat oven to 425˚F and bake for 20 minutes. (Flash Freeze means freezing the taquitos in a single layer for 15-20 minutes (until hardened) so that when you add them to the freezer bag, they will not all stick together).
(recipe from: Our Best Bites)